Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Mr. Blackwell doesn't live here...

I get in more trouble for almost never noticing the little things. Rarely do I spot a spot on someone’s shirt or pants, can never tell if it’s an art statement or your shoes are truly untied and can’t tell the difference between an engagement and wedding ring.



I blame it on my stepfather Joe who constantly knocked me upside the head if my vision traveled anywhere beyond looking into someone’s eyes.

I make a great booger buddy. I’ll whip that natural disaster into clean up mode inside two point six seconds. Can’t be my peripheral vision, I’m like an owl with a head that twists ten times around but that doesn’t mean I’m quick to note when you’re wearing two different styles of socks or earrings.



Maybe the hidden agenda is based on not introducing embarrassment. Lord knows that’s happened to me a few thousand times in Tae Kwon Do. Nearly a third degree black belt and I still wear my uniform inside out. There are no tags that say, “Place butt here.” Students have no problem racing up to me and blurting out, “Ha ha ha! Messed up again radio man.”



So I ask, what is the best method of exposing a dysfunction in the junction?



Fashion manners expert Anne Marie Sabbath must have gone to Arroe’s step-daddy school, “Stay focused on the conversation. Never put someone in an embarrassing moment. In time, those who’ve been infected will look in the mirror and spot the spot and feel less evil toward them self because you made no mention of it.”



But what if you attend a summertime business gathering and right off the bat you notice another person sporting the same outfit?



This you can handle, “Wow I love your taste in clothing!”



Yep…by making one single light moment out of the situation it puts you, the other person and those attending the party at ease.



One of the biggest fashion crashers in more recent times is the introduction of pierced tongues. Personally I’ve never had one but a few broadcasting students have marched through my studio seeking an internship. Was I wrong to say, “Leave the metal for 99.7 The Fox?”



I can barely talk a straight line with my tongue, how could someone with a slender tube expect to share an undisturbed conversation with radio listeners if their speech pattern is being interrupted by foreign objects?



Guess what? Anne Marie says, “Arroe is wrong! Keep personal tastes and decisions completely out of the scene. In time the pierced up-and- comer will realize nobody else in the company is sporting such jewelry and will automatically learn to take it out.”



If I had just listened to my stepfather Joe, “You can never get in trouble if your eyes are locked onto their eyes. Look nowhere else.”



Steal his art…



arroecollins@clearchannel.com

No comments:

Post a Comment