Thursday, July 9, 2009

Who? What? Where?

Worked the advanced world television premiere of TNT’s hot new summer drama Dark Blue starring Dylan McDermott last evening—shook hands, kissed babies and built what became a major platform to sell the show to an always on the go American culture.

Gaining access to that life and style requires loyalty to a simple somewhat stupid single rule: You get answers to the questions you ask.

Parallel lines mean nothing. Running side by side generates enough space for me to believe one of the two parties involved has ego issues. Top business leaders and those closest to their daily efforts physically understand that asking questions not only showcases confidence but it defines the current situation in an uplifting, energizing positive manner that leaves those involved in a state of totally understanding the situation.

The managers of the upper level establishment at last nights premiere drew from their day hours of worry which robbed natural energy from their every opportunity. Once on the scene, my team quickly reshaped their confidence by finding faith in the hours of show prep required to maintain the issue at hand. From the moment we were inked to lead the premiere to the final reports shot through the World Wide Web by midnight, we never stopped asking questions.

John C Maxwell speaks highly of an ancient Chinese proverb, “He who asks is a fool for five minutes but he who does not ask is a fool forever.”

Challenged by everyday life, Maxwell learned fresh out of college how important it is to keep your ego far away from each effort presented. He was forced to pretend to know what he was doing because he lazily refused to ask questions leading him straight into a desperate way of living.

Learning to ask the right question is no easy feat. What separates successful people from those wanting to climb the ladder has nothing to do with whose shoes you’ll fill but rather what questions you ask during the moments of stepping up and forward. Millions of people saw the apple fall but it was Newton who asked, “Why?”

Meeting with people you admire serves as a trigger to ignite newer ideas. Motivational leader Anthony Robbins once said, “Quality questions create a quality life. Successful people ask better questions and as a result, they get better answers.”

No day passes that I don’t run these aging fingers and thoughts through what I call the unperfected path: The Interviewer versus the legs that think they can. The first person you should always question is yourself. What you think and how you react are nothing more than two brothers forced to live in the same house and by the power of strict parents and a thick leather belt you are going to get along.

1. Am I investing in myself? John C Maxwell coaches you to keep learning so you can keep leading. Good leaders invest in themselves and do so in the way of making others better.
We don’t have a financial crisis in this country…we’ve become lost in a pool of bad leadership. Seriously, when was the last time you learned more about your position at work? Have you been afraid to teach others your methods of getting the job done? Legendary radio man Henry Bogan and I used to laugh about our places of position believing the current role was nothing more than a practicing ground for the next career.

Better yourself today so you can become valuable tomorrow.

2. Am I genuinely interested in others? If you want to be the man or woman in the big office at the end of the hallway, ask yourself, “Why?” We’ve all met the one who went from being a serving leader to a self serving one. By asking questions you’re able to assess situations and quickly come up with solutions.
3. Am I doing what I love and love what I am doing? You will never fulfill your dreams doing something you dislike. I hear it everyday, “Arroe…I can’t find happiness. Arroe…I fear losing my job. I hate weekends! I can’t stand the scent of coffee on Monday’s.” Locating the passion for what you do is the core to locating success and more importantly fulfillment. I’m often accused of being too positive…absolutely not true. I have no problem exposing my passion for radio.
4. Am I investing my time with the right people? Your family tree of career history is mandated by the people you’ve met along the way. If you’re not putting in 125% on the job front, someone on the trail of tears convinced you that getting by was the only way to fly. Think not of them but those you’ve inspired to become the same poison. Ouch!
5. Am I taking others to a higher position? Start putting value in coworkers and family members. Let them know when they're doing something right. But in a way that doesn't come across as the big suck up.
6. Am I taking care of today? If you give only 10% today and 60% tomorrow, you’re headed into a new weekend with every reason to be fired Monday. Taking care of today corrects tomorrow…by not fixing it adds weight to everyday that follows.
7. Am I taking the time to think? Where do you go to let go? No morning begins unless my fingers are holding a pen. Over ten years of daily blah blah blah that I every so often return to only to touch the page. With my eyes shut and fingertips lightly rubbing across each thought…I can tell you exactly how I felt that day. Get it out of your heart and mind and put it on a stage. Engage your future by becoming a better thinker.
Stop waiting for the next generation to lead this nation…until your final breath you have the power to make a difference. Then it rests in the hands of your legacy. I dedicate this piece today to my first degree black belt mentor Nathan Richie who constantly asks the right questions. On October 18th I'll put forth the energy required to be recognized as a third degree. Couldn't have done it without all his questions.

Steal his art…

arroecollins@clearchannel.com

No comments:

Post a Comment