Wednesday, December 2, 2009

I hate pain but do nothing to prevent it!

Rain, rain and more rain…talk about a major headache! But is it the weather we blame? What causes those fat monsters to creep up and bite you on the neck, shoulders, legs and other things? I’d be fibbing to you if I didn’t admit the attempt to be the manly man by ignoring a solid day crunching headache nearly took the air from these lungs.



Headaches aren’t to be ignored. Like anger they aren’t the solution but only a symptom. Headaches act as a signal by way of telling the body, “Whoa…Jimmy can’t jam, got his booty ego in a big ole bunch of ouch.”



In my situation, a self diagnosed prescription of two Advil chased by five extra strength Tylenol then watered down by a couple of Goodies powers should’ve spelled out trouble—I failed to listen. Rather than hoist the symptoms into the palms of the educated medical official, I played the role of the doctor officially declaring war on stress combined with eighteen hour workdays. There was no way a stupid headache had the strength to whip these size eleven feet from under me. I’m a second degree black belt! We are trained to ignore pain and disaster! I shall push my way through this brick wall.



The scariest document ever written in my daily journal was on Saturday July 18, 2009 in which I physically penned out, “I’m in tremendous pain without explanation. I am having problems breathing and can’t seem to focus on anything. I think it’s because my body doesn’t want me to go for the 3rd Degree. I’m electing to ignore how I feel today because a true martial artist never lets anything stand in the way of winning a war.”



I took the special class nearly passing out four different times. I didn’t have the courage to tell Master Harris that I was in that much pain…it showed a sign of weakness. My side kicks were barely knee high. My balance resembled a completely out of control drunk downtown. I couldn’t perform a single martial arts form without walking slowly to the back of the room in shame. As bad as my head hurt I couldn’t stop…never realizing I was having a heart attack.



High blood pressure causes headaches. But you already know that and if you’re like millions if not billions of others such conditions can be beat without seeking medical attention. I will change my diet! Gone will be…will be…hmmm…you know what, lets not worry about this until something happens. I mean come on! We all know the signs of the big one!



When consumed by a headache have you ever put focus on relaxing your left leg? What? Dr. Robert G Ford from the Headache Clinic believes head throbbing prevention begins with learning how to relax. I didn’t say snag a bottle of beer or glass of wine from the fridge. I said relax…



By starting with your left leg the rest of your body will follow—the toes, the plumbers behind which then inspires the awaiting right leg to play along with the song.



Other ways to escape include an hourly moment with the body we call our own but barely know…every hour at work, you should spend one minute with your eyes closed. If the boss man has problems with this exercise, that’s why God invented toilets…go take a seat in the worlds greatest place of privacy. Rub the palms of your hands together to create heat…then place the heals of your hands over the eyelids. Do it again, then place your hands on your cheeks, neck and scalp.



Did you know most headaches are triggered because we fail to move our necks? We are the lazy generation! Holding your neck in place for an extended length of time is good reason for your body to toss a king sized two year old child’s fit. As much as you can’t stand to leave your job to visit the doctor, its time to see the man or woman that can help you identify where the pain originates so you can begin a healing process.



By relaxing those trapezius muscles it’s telling your system to take a chill pill. One of the quickest ways to reach that level of performance is to get control of your breathing. Out of all the classes they teach in elementary school to college, the single most important class is constantly left out…what is the proper way to breathe? I don’t care how fat you look, if you don’t give me the Buddha belly when tossing energy through that body then you’re asking to be completely connected to a massive headache made of granite.



Take the time to read about four extremely easy breathing techniques created by the Great Grandmasters of Jin Jung Kwan Hapkido



Http://www.midwesthapkido.com/breathing_standards.htm



Headaches! I can’t stand them! And on rainy days like today they rage far worse than children who didn’t get what they wanted for Christmas. What we eat, drink, sleep with or without…what we perform or stay away from adds to the bodies way of trying to communicate with the inner ear of a core system that’s guaranteed to do two things…live then die. What you do in between will determine how big the headache is going to be.



Getting back to living…steal my art.



arroecollins@clearchannel.com



Footnote: Since July 18, 2009 under the extremely over protective watchful eye of the Sanger Heart and Vascular Clinic I have returned to martial arts where every night I continue to push my mind, body and soul through the same brick walls that stood before me in the chapters written before the fall…except this time around I’m learning a new art…trying to identify the language this body is speaking so the next time it wants something I don’t attempt to create words to put in the place of assumed silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment