Thursday, May 27, 2010

The root to all my evilness...

Your actions make up your true belongings.



Boy, talk about a masterpiece of thought that can be hidden away or comfortably displayed on a perfectly designed wall in an art gallery—pick a color, any color, expression, landscape or portrait of an apple, orange or bird sitting on a fence. This one comes with special Yoda powers capable of collecting more opinions than dust bunnies.



Your actions make up your true belongings.



Each who passes might look at the single sentence and do nothing but roll their eyes, another could pick a loose hair from their nose while a third party reaches to hold the hand of the human stick figure selected to share the moment with.



Whatever the action or reaction…the end result is ownership.



All that you are and will become is the result of action. In a weird Grim Reaper way…it’s the only thing you can stuff in the box at closing time.

Stealing The Beatles song Got to Get You into My Life from a JC Penny in downtown Billings, Montana gave birth to my radio career. Without that song added to the cue burned hunks of round black tar once owned by my stepbrothers and sister there wouldn’t have been a Casey Kasum copycat countdown in my bedroom which at the age of 14 led to KLYC in Laurel, Montana but I was forced to quit seconds after being hired because my dad wouldn’t drive me to work.



Everything has roots. But is it good to wrap our tired fingers around the wooden handle and start digging?



As much as I want to put fault on my artwork on a poor poet who couldn’t sell books so he elected to doodle around words others ignored isn’t exactly how the artist’s eye was put into play…the inner core of the four edges called a frame first became important during a childhood linked to the crazy idea that I could be an architect…and that meant learning how to draw, paint and constantly ask why.



So instead of putting energy in the studies of the art delivered in 1997…I reach back to the 70’s to better understand the curves selected and the reasons for separated shadows that silhouette in ways that tend to tease the imagination rather than give it a total release from an already cluttered world.



Your actions make up your true belongings.



Deep? Maybe too deep. But it’s who I am! So…who are you and why? This could be the reason why we begin to slow in our mid-30’s. Like a computer, the memory banks are caked to the brim like a Ford engine whose oil hasn’t been changed in 300,000 miles. A difference or correction isn’t usually tossed into everyday play until the cling and clang in the bang bang starts chattering louder than the voices in your head.


I love listening to those freaks! Some much louder than others. Artist Way author Julia Cameron invites you to give them a path but do so on your time and not theirs. Who I am as a writer at 2:30 in the morning compared to 6:11 am are ten completely different people...yet each presented mood and mindset is given the opportunity to speak.



Tired of your job? You think it stinks and life on the other side of the white picket fence appears to be more enjoyable? Then do it. Why keep from your unwritten chapters the words that would make up the perfect paragraph? Unmasking is completely healthy.



Your actions make up your true belongings.



I often wonder where stealing my brother’s pickup during the hot summer of 79 got me? I’m lucky he didn’t burn my record and 8-track tape collection! More importantly the five of us who turned teen fun into a crime should be counting our lucky stars a police officer didn’t take note of something odd and slap on the blue lights. How could I do this? Because my brother taught me how to hotwire my dad’s truck and I assumed it was ok to return the favor.



It doesn’t matter what’s handed to me today…I still can’t shake it. Your actions make up your true belongings.



It’s difficult to admit the rotary phone on my parent’s half painted kitchen wall has had a bigger impact on me than Elvis, KISS and Adam Lambert. Dad enforced one rule: five minute conversations or nothing for a week. The moment I left home, the first thing picked up was my own phone which has evolved into several cell phones and now a Droid. Your actions make up your true belongings.



If he had just let me talk longer than 5 minutes would I feel like I’m constantly missing out? I can’t hate or fault the man…as selfish as it comes across, when I hit his age I don’t want to be unloved for stupid reasons. I actually dig the guy…the cell phone company informed me last night that I barely use 200 minutes a month but I pay for um-teen million. Dad is working his magic years after planting the seed.



I am though addicted to 411. Where in God’s name did I go wrong in life to make me such a phone number loser? I blame it on my 6th grade teacher Mr. Barone who made me copy dictionary pages for talking too much in class. Phone books are in alphabetical order like a dictionary and I just can’t handle going near anything that brings up bad memories.



Your actions make up your true belongings.



arroecollins@clearchannel.com

No comments:

Post a Comment