Thursday, October 28, 2010

I didn't quit Tae Kwon Do...it quit me!

You walk into a grocery store, pharmacy or veterinarian where nobody smiles, shares a nice warm hello or asks if you need help locating the Jelly Belly’s or power bars with 32 grams of protein. If there’s to be any kind of connection it’s usually performed at the cash register by an employee that’s having a difficult time understanding the order of importance salesmanship or texting. You physically feel invisible, yet you return two sometimes three times a week because it’s convenient to the daily path taken to or from work.

You don’t need an on-air radio disc jockey to tell you that today’s business world is more interested in numbers than fans. On the other end of the manager’s cell phone is an upper level department head banging his head on a desk wondering why counting heads is an extremely difficult task for the employee standing next to the spinning turnstile.

I’m embarrassed to admit my parents had it better.

Banks, restaurants, dentists and movie theaters were once finely tuned to the incredible craftsmanship of commitment and interconnection which led patrons to a plate of quality.

Author Seth Gobin paints the picture of a current society that’s no longer interested in developing a relationship with clients in the way of gathering fans.

Fans? Only Justin Bieber and The Black Eyed Peas have fans. Why would Mike’s Hot Dog Shack on 55th street require fans? This isn’t a football game! Exactly…and that’s who we’ve become, a mass of wanna be thinkers locked on to the idea that we can gain access to better numbers by getting em in then getting em out.

I’m not in love with my neighborhood gas station. I was once a fan of their coffee selection but they tell me corporate has a new policy. Have I stopped going there? Nope! The next station is a quarter mile out of the way.

I recently switched dentists because the name on the corner building kept telling me that it was more convenient to my busy schedule to use them rather than the doctor I’d been with for eighteen years.

First day there, “You need a root canal.”

“Really?” I sharply questioned before being surrounded by the head dentist and a coworker who wanted me to sign a piece of paper to get the work done by weeks end.

Being a nonbeliever in quick decisions I stood up and they closed they door. Literally! I was locked in a room with someone needing a signature. Being in radio I understand the power of inflection and use it well without ever lifting my vocals or using fowl words of not so much wisdom. In two days I had an appointment with the original dentist that explained nothing is wrong with my teeth and getting a second opinion not only saved me but the insurance company.

It’s all about numbers! Businesses are no longer required to create a fan base.

Seth explains the partnership and why it’s a valuable asset to your continued success in his book Tribes: We Need You to Lead Us, “The goal is to get one fan who knows two or three more people. People talk. People follow each other.”

Seth uses John Mayer as an incredible example calling him one of the most successful people to develop a true fan base during a social networking revolution. He relies on sharing a quality experience on stage, on the web and through Twitter with those in attendance which opens the door for future followers to step inside.

Not every fan has to be a mop top Bieber fanatic who screams at the first sight of your business logo. True fans can change the world you wanna rock but they are so hard to find. Begin the journey by performing quality. It gets people to fall in love with your purpose.

If I honestly had to break down the physical reasons why I continue to use the same gas station…I have to admit I dig the employees. I use their experiences behind the counter on my radio show. If I ask the right questions, their answers reflect real life at real times of the day that others depend on them most. I need them to make my product better.

I’m in the business of you and if I stop being your fan it’s going to turn me into a radio jock that’s stuck on one thought per break usually saying something about wrapping up another twenty five songs in a row without talk. Oh I’m talking now…pretend you don’t hear me.

Be aware of what you’re doing at work—if you instantly become irritated by mall store kiosk owners constantly connected to video games and Face Book pages, make sure you aren’t doing the same at your place of play. If sharp distinct managers with egos the size of Texas haunt your reasons for not wanting to take up martial arts then reposition yourself at work in a way that doesn’t make you better than a coworker.

I laugh when fellow equals land decision making positions and the first thing they do is let it go to their head and heart. I nearly lost my job in the 80's because the person I assumed I knew no longer wanted to hear the affirmation styled fun I enjoy bringing to everyday. He was down, I popped in with an Arroe-tude and he quickly went to his people who invited me into an unexpected face to face conversation with fate.

I was no longer his biggest fan…at yearly evaluation time it showed up in a handwritten note that read, “Had a bad year getting along with others.”

Today I love everyone! Giggle giggle snort snort snicker snicker

Long story short: I didn’t leave Tae Kwon Do because my Master was evil and uncaring. I was forced out by an insurance company and doctor who stared me down for over a year claiming that I was too young to have a heart attack and taking all these pills was not the lifestyle for someone my age. They were brave enough to tell me…get more cardio. We’re talking hours a day. We know you love your martial arts but you won’t heal properly taking forty minutes out of your day to learn a new Kung Fu move. You need cardio now! To which my Master replied………………..silence. Now how can I be a fan of that?

Work it people! Put yourself back on the winning train and get people to fall back in love with what you do or please get off the tracks and give the true leaders below you the opportunity to make America great again.

I will always believe in you first…

arroecollins@clearchannel.com

No comments:

Post a Comment