Thursday, October 21, 2010

Mark Twain would've liked me...

Here’s a word you never hear any more Stenographer; someone skilled in the transcript of speech. A key player inside a courtroom often called a court recorder.

In 1905 famed author and American literary genius Mark Twain hired a stenographer to make a mark in history by feverishly typing into an itty bitty machine with extremely short keys the words, thoughts and brave opinions of a common man from a common background who just happened to light up the imaginations of multitudes of generations beyond his physical presence.

The Autobiography of Mark Twain took five years to layout, is made up of two hundred fifty separate meetings that required thirty five years of editing only to be released to the public one hundred five years after it was originally thought of. One of the most important reasons why Twain elected to keep the breaks on was because of a whispered guarantee to his daughter, “I will not bury you alive.”

It was Mark’s vision to vocally deliver a free form autobiography that couldn’t be released for a century saying, “It gives the writer a freedom which he could secure. Man cannot tell the whole truth about himself, even if convinced that what he wrote would never been seen by others.”

Even if it meant his words wouldn’t be heard until years after his passing Mark Twain wanted to speak his mind.

My…haven’t we changed. Today…social networking through mediums such as Face Book, Twitter, texting and the ever popular but common email allows the famous and those not interested a guaranteed power to open ones mind as it speaks out too fast and often out of control.

Verbally in public we’ve become what we shoot through computer and cell phone screen. No editors, no stenographers or twenty second radio station delays; if it’s on your mind current American Culture and fad give you permission to express whereas Twain felt one hundred years after the big departure would be safe enough grounds to walk on.

In the weeks ahead, it’s my goal to study the writing and speaking habits of this writer. I’m not the typical who fell in love with his work; if Huck Finn were to walk by me right now I’d have no clue. Not my kind of writing or story so I chose to write my own way in the classes that demanded we read the books in high school.

Why so much interest in someone I don’t care to read? Two weeks before my heart attack in July 2009 I was asked by a museum in Mississippi to be the voice of Samuel L. Clemmons; a unique alignment of words based on what Twain saw as a child then painting the picture of the mighty river and its boats while wearing shoes located in the adult section of the department store. How he spoke woke me up. How he drew pictures with southern words and phrases invited every reason to continue telling my editors to leave how I speak the way it is…from the streets of common living.

A month ago I came across Andy Warhol’s personal journals studying his points of direction while wallowing through meadows of hidden journeys. I’m expecting the same from Twain; the state of our current being is filled with too many actors only to learn those before us were too and it’s taken decades after their passing to learn their truthful curves.

But is it? Man cannot tell the whole truth about himself, even if convinced that what he wrote would never been seen by others.

It reminds me of my first book; the editor and publisher demanded five rewrites, each one becoming thinner and thinner of its main purpose. By mistake I released the book in digital form in 2010 only to yank it from world because what’s been written paints too many colorful pictures creating an overflow of assumption and isn’t that where danger is constantly located?

It influenced me to be extremely real in the follow up Another 1,021 Thoughts where the editor was told with extreme bluntness, “Do not change my style. Do not pull back thoughts that seem too strong. Do not put yourself in the shoes I wore.” The book deals with September 11, 2001 and the events thereafter and to soften its edges wouldn’t be truthful.

My exact words were, “I want to be Mark Twain and William Shakespeare!”

She replied, “You are far from that…”

Look beyond what I said and seize better control of the entire view, I want to speak from the street the language of real people. It’s like learning Spanish, what you learn in high school cannot be compared to what’s being shared, slang with all its improper comma’s and quotations, question marks and back slashes is the difference in a country where every city has a Toby Keith, Target, Old Navy and Wal-Mart.

Mark Twain came from the south and writes like he’s from the south. No fake accents required and it’s become my vow to learn how he really thought then share it with you by way of taking the acting out of your steps and hopefully locating true peace in the art of being you.

Wouldn’t life be happier if people would just accept you for being you? It’s time to take off the mask of lets pretend and reveal who you are to a world waiting to uncover the next best thing…you! Please don’t be like Twain and wait 100 years.

arroecollins@clearchannel.com

No comments:

Post a Comment