Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Everyday should be treated like Christmas...

Your new goal, a new challenge, take on or leave beside your extremely busy freeway of love; sometime today or tomorrow open your heart to helping someone without bragging about it to the rest of the world.

I’m with people all the time. People are my life and style. People are extremely important to me. Being this close I come face to face with an amazingly high number of individuals that say, “I reached out to this! I volunteered there! I dedicated myself! I gave to!”

With each passing hour we’re one step closer to that time of year when giving and caring shines it’s brightest on top of the freshly cut Christmas tree. The holidays with their magic accompanied with open palms and wishful thoughts of grabbing more from where that came from. I love it when families share. I cry big ole reindeer tears when children drop off giant bags of toys for little people they’ll never meet.

Look at me using that “I” word! I…I…I

There’s only one “I” in Christmas and its located deep in the middle. Stare at it long enough and you’ll quickly realize it offers help to the other letters that require a vowel to make it work.

The new goal; do something nice for someone without talking about it.

Giving feels incredible! You want to share it with everyone including the ancient field mouse impatiently waiting for a squirrel to drop a seed. Rushing off to share your adventures dilutes the purpose. The higher you hoist that goodwill flag the thinner the impact becomes. Hold on to it. Let it swell inside your heart. Feel the urge to set free a salty tear several times. There are few things you can call your own…let this be something that doesn’t require a moment to let go.

When you speak about giving…in essence you’re setting yourself up to receive. I’m thinking that move is against the rules written several chapters before your greatest of all great, great grandparents. Kindness is what you share with the person, place or thing you elected to be with. Kindness has nothing to do with wonderful stories you’ll share in the aftermath. The lack of a reaction tends to steal from that incredible feeling of wow…

It doesn’t have to be the holiday to be giving. Buy someone a cup of coffee in line. Reach up to the counter and tell them, “This one’s on me…” A shocked look you might receive but you have no clue as to what the person you’re sharing it with is going through and that single moment of sharing helped free them from pain.

This past Halloween Sunday…I stepped from the car and a man several parking spots away shouts, “Its a little cold out here! Guess your green hair is going to make us all warm.”

He found funny in my attempt to play serious Halloween man. But it was his laughter and genuine interest that opened a conversation. A passerby would assume we’d been friends for years. After grabbing a bagel and running to hide in a nearby corner it occurred to me that a thank you should’ve been shared. Standing up to take note of where he was, his location was never found…his car already gone. Of all days to meet a funny happy man…only few hours after losing my little fuzzy boy.

I don’t think he ran off into his day telling friends and family members about how he turned the green haired mans day around. Which is why the challenge has been issued; your new goal, take on or leave beside your extremely busy freeway of love; sometime today or tomorrow open your heart to helping someone without bragging about it to the rest of the world.

No emails or responses that say I did this. I want to do that. Just do it and hold onto it tightly so the feeling consumes every breath you take. Shhhhh keep it your little secret.

arroecollins@clearchannel.com

No comments:

Post a Comment