Monday, January 24, 2011

Permission to visit the past...

Brian Andreas writes, “Whenever I go on a trip, I think about the homes I’ve had and remember how little has changed about what comforts me.”

Sort of pushes the mind into rewind. The attempt to connect the dots becomes excess weight and drama. What haven’t you thrown out that could be the secret message in a bottle leading your dreams into a world of wishes come true?

Julia Cameron shares an incredible lesson when challenging you to open a magazine and rip from it only the pictures that bring instant happiness. Locate a different magazine and do it again. Don’t spend time studying the picture. Keep only those shots that instantly hit you in a positive way.

Once completed; paste the pages to a large chunk of think cardboard. Place them anywhere that enlightens your smile. Don’t be artsy and think it has to be perfect…glue them to the board and watch the air move back into your life.

You’ll discover your favorite color might not truly be blue, green or red. You might see travel, fuzzy puppies or cute babies that reach out and melt your soul. The collage might come across as bold and daring inviting your deepest wishes to seek a more powerful position at work or to lay low and seek living life over dollar amount.

The journey doesn’t stop there…learn to incorporate the most powerful color presented in your life. Yellow came up a lot on my canvas; first thing I bought was a yellow writing instrument. Poof! Immediately there was a difference. Birds are my jazz. Turning off the radio I began to spend more time with the music makers. Trees invite peace so I planted 17 hundred seedlings in the forest.

Whenever I go on a trip, I think about the homes I’ve had and remember how little has changed about what comforts me.

Hey…if you’re going to live in the past you might as well date the self that was once happy.

Teaching yourself to make it part of your current everyday is the issue. Nobody likes change and Bill Gates with his computerized generation of brilliant thinkers has turned each of us into I want it now idiots.

I love art! I love to spend time with those who make it and at one time couldn’t stop releasing it from my fingertips. Then one day all that changed because I allowed other people’s opinions seep into the pits that make up the energy required to place paint on the surface of something so brilliantly white.

A very colorful vase was returned to me from a gallery last week; taking note of the $200 price tag still attached to its base I instantly became embarrassed, “Ego maniac!”

Mentally I couldn’t let the failure go…so I let the art go. I walked into the lobby of the radio station and handed it to someone, “Please help this vase locate a place of beauty.”

The greatest thing about art…you’ll get more out of it if you trust yourself to share it. The expression received from an unknowing receiver is priceless. My neighbor Greg is a brilliant artist that became addicted to creating it only to hide it. It took me forever to convince him to stop hording what rightfully doesn’t belong to him. This past Friday night he made it a point to stop me, “I get excited when I visit family and friends and see my work in their living room, den or man cave. There are no words that describe what rushes through me. It’s like wow I did that!”

I invited him to the Peter Max art show on Saturday, “Its time you meet the master of showmanship and marketing.”

Neither of us made it...my excuse was I’d end up asking a stupid question or I’d be forced into submission and purchase a painting out of respect for the king. Wrong! Peter has never been that way. I can’t imagine how many closet artists he’s invited into the world because of his tremendous openness to facing their fears of being known for more than just a part time dabbler of mediums.

Whenever I go on a trip, I think about the homes I’ve had and remember how little has changed about what comforts me.

Artists, writers, bankers, chefs, photographers, grocery store stock people become disgruntled when they forget about the words that make up the paragraph. It’s too easy to leap onto a page and call it a book only to spend the rest of your life wondering why it’s never read.

While combing the hair of the person staring back in the mirror pretend you’re the hairstylist and do what they do best…listen.

I’ll always believe in you first…

arroecollins@clearchannel.com

No comments:

Post a Comment