Friday, February 11, 2011

Laugh until you puke then pour kitty litter it so you can laugh some more...

Is it still looked upon as being a fake laugh if when I laugh it’s protecting me from what the outside world is unexpectedly delivering?

Good day, bad day, bite your fingernails edginess, fear, loneliness, anxiety, boss that picks on you; whatever the shape, size or scent...there's always going to be a laugh located in the channels of your carved out caves.

What makes you laugh? A joke, a poke, a stick stuck in the mud with a flag that reads: Free boogers and flu…got too much in my house to handle.

A local comedian called while driving home; he’s convinced that a cure for our national divorce crisis has been discovered and it’s through laughter. I kept waiting for the punch line.

Steven’s teamed up with a doctor and through both professional practices they’ve developed a hard hitting but extremely funny delivery that helps rebuild the blood cells that crashed during the one, ten, fifteen or seven year itch.

I kept waiting for the punch line. He wouldn’t allow me to enter his platform without helping him locate a radio show that ripened his ready to pick fresh fruits and veggies.

“Here’s the joke Dude…unless it’s coming from Usher, Black Eyed Peas, Lady Gaga or Dr Phil; the best thing you’ve got going for you is podcasting.” (Insert Arroe laugh here)

Silence…the sound of midnight crickets kicking serious tail under a starlit Carolina summer night. Not clue about podcasting. Wow…in a real comedy club I would’ve been gifted with a heckler. I needed Pam Stone to warm up this ice cold audience.

Being on this side of the broadcasting lamplight where concert and movie tickets are plentiful and so is the endless amounts of free flavored coffee I often find myself forgetting how unimportant Social Media is to the masses. There are still massive amounts of our brothers, sisters, my mother and neighbors that remain completely unattached to what one day will be named the most talkative about nothing generation.

The only reason why 72% of us hit a web page is to laugh. The more we laugh the better we feel. I laughed so hard at a Craig Shoemaker show I woke up the next morning with bronchitis. I beat the %*#@* out of my lungs so hard the body sent the rest of me to timeout for six weeks.

My favorite commercial on TV right now is the ad that displays the coworker that wasn’t invited to the taco party. I bust a gut every time because I’ve been there. Laughter is the beginning middle and end result in the art of being an incredible communicator.

My worst disaster with laughter took place at a Barnes and Nobel poetry reading where I was invited to set free the words I keep; ooops no comedy. Manager was horribly disappointed because as she put it, “I guaranteed my guests and clients a night of upbeat fun energy.”

To which I replied, “Then you should’ve invited them to the radio station.”

No laughter…only silence like that of your favorite song fading on the radio and the disc jockey must be a sleep or caught outside because suddenly your car is consumed with dead air so heavy you’re beginning to get cramps in your toes.

I laughed…when don’t I laugh? In the middle of the laugh a different offer took shape, “If you want to motivate your guests then let me do an art show with the proceeds benefiting the Susan G Koman Foundation.”

Thus starting a new chapter; laughter, be it nervous, fear or fake has the ability to raise awareness by way of saving other peoples lives.

Don’t be afraid to let go of one…it’s not a fart. Who cares if you’re laugh is odd, nobody will mind if it smells like coffee or you snort like a water buffalo at the Asheboro Zoo. Who knows, your laugh might actually make someone fart and that will make you laugh harder.

I will always believe in you first…

arroecollins@clearchannel.com

No comments:

Post a Comment