Thursday, February 10, 2011

This Bieber kid could be bigger than what we think...

Never say never…

Enough said; put your pencil down, let’s move ahead. Anyone would drop the subject. I can’t.

Never say never… Instantly I’m given a mental image of Just Say No from Nancy Reagan, Just do it from Michael Jordon and Nike. McDonald’s has I’m loving it! What about Ford Tough?

This Bieber kid is onto something.

Never say never is the force behind what I assumed was the latest American fad. Thirty two years behind a radio microphone you’re gonna meet a lot of hits and misses but this spin is a little different. There’s no American Idol or America’s Got Talent, he wasn’t sold off to Disney or Nickelodeon and in every interview I study there truly seems to be an old soul artist locked up inside an imagination that’s willing give life to a world that’s chosen to sit down and quit.

I believe in reincarnation…who is this one?

Elvis? It’s too easy to shout, “Are you *&#@*# insane?” Elvis was endless with his love, compassion, and understanding. Bieber naturally without hesitation reaches inside another person’s life and gives like nobody I’ve seen not even Joel Olsteen.

Lennon? This is where my stomach turns because this poet craves what fell from the former Beatles writing instrument. Fatherless, common kid, a story lives within the walls of his unstoppable need to invite music to places of silence. John was deeply disappointed with his early years and the way he gave permission to his music to keep him from having what he valued most…family. Bieber surrounds himself with a solid wall of support fed by deeply dug in Christian roots that constantly command that he never lose a connectedness that fame tends to pull apart.

Michael Jackson?

Why can’t Justin have a slice of all three? In an age when being a kid requires you to be an adult by three; as faceless as music tends to be…the rhythms and beats of history can’t be changed which means everything grandparents once heard so do today’s growing nation.

Never say never…

If the one thing Bieber brings to the pop ups in the backseat of your car is a set of lyrics to sing then let them have their Frank Sinatra.

Can you tell I’m the angry middle aged adult that didn’t get the support from his parents to chase childhood music dreams? I snuck around Billings, Montana gluing my nose to radio station windows KOYN, Y93, KGHL hoping to find something that finally fed the unexplained itch in my feet; only to read in Wolfman Jack’s biography that nearly every person in radio is nothing more than a rock star wanna be that elected to sell their soul to spinning music because it doesn’t require lessons to read liner cards.

On Face Book today I wrote:

I wasn't a Bieber fan until I saw the movie. If my parents would have taken the time to believe in my musical dreams...radio would be the farthest thing from my current path. It wasn't until two years ago that I finally got the *#@%* to take my music serious and being in a real recording studio with Jimm and Alan is the most incredible experience of my life. I can't explain what it feels like to create a melody, a song hook and then hear someone humming it hours after it was delivered in the studio. I wish more parents would invest in their child’s dreams rather than pick their career like their name. If music wouldn't have worked...I still believe I could've been a professional bowler.

Never say never…

Something’s going on here. I felt the same vibe when introduced to Lady Gaga, Madonna in the 80’s, Country Music’s Alabama when Lonnie Bell popped the 45 My Homes in Alabama on the KOYN radio turntable and vibrantly said, “I think we have our first country music Beatles.”

Scooter Braun and Usher may go down in the pages of written journeys as being responsible for discovering Bieber but ultimately thru social networking and You Tube the people made them their king first.

I’m not rushing out to buy Bieber Barbies, T-shirts and mp3’s from Itunes; I will though continue to invest in two thoughts, his first then mine: Never say never…and trust in the lips that bring to the surface a once hidden harmony. Do all you can to believe in the music given to your children everyday. Encourage them to give it to the world to sing.

I will always believe in you first…

arroecollins@clearchannel.com

No comments:

Post a Comment