Tuesday, March 29, 2011

What do you think put the money in your account?

I surfed into Dancing with the Stars last night; the shake and roll not being the attraction but rather an extremely loud rattle created by comedian George Lopez’s raw unfair comparison of a farm animal to Kirstie Alley.

Why do comedians go there? While doing a nationally syndicated radio show with extremely funny girl Pam Stone, she never advised us to hit below the belt. Maybe it’s just me; the first sign of getting old might be having a lack of desire to watch Donald Trump get roasted by ten people who’ve got nothing in common but a smart writer.

My younger sister Susan can’t get enough of Chelsea Handler and Russell Brand, “They’re me! We’re the same family from different mothers. Chelsea and Russell have given me permission to say what I want when I want.”

Not too good…there’s a reason why we nicknamed her Mouth.

An old Chinese proverb keeps my fears under control: The gem cannot be polished without friction. Basically meaning character is more important than victory.

Eleanor Roosevelt adds a little spice to the sweet tea, “Do what you feel in your heart to be right for you’ll be criticized anyway. Damned if you do and damned if you don’t.”

“Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet,” are the words from Helen Keller, “Through trial and suffering the soul is strengthened, ambition is inspired and success is achieved.”

Which goes perfect with Artist Way author Julia Cameron’s deepest belief, “Display your art so you can learn how to ignore criticism.”

Character arrives from separate sides of the pendulum and through everyday occurrences at home, at work or while standing in line at a very busy grocery store we should never be elated in victory or discouraged in defeat. Both sides are equal parts of the same process.

Instantly I’m taken back to 1987 when the Charlotte Observer reporter asked me why I kept my excitement about being a finalist to replace Casey Kasum on American Top 40 completely reserved. It’s not that I feared the unknown but chose instead to prepare for it. Thank god I did! Shadoe Stevens got the performance of a lifetime and I was thrown onto overnight radio.

Kirstie Alley displayed unforgettable character after Lopez’s accusation was tossed out like a tiger blood fed Charlie Sheen winner-ism. Whether it hurt or not; Kirstie took the high road by accepting without furthering the damaging the comedians apology, which I’m sure upset the staff at TMZ cuz its ratings time and this cat fight would’ve made a hell of a story.

Author Richard King writes, “People gain victory by buying it, bribing it or stealing it.”

Does it create an empty illusion or is life truly nothing more than a circle and everything taking place today has already happened when Kings, Queens and Court Jesters were found at on the streets and not in a deck of cards?

Richard goes on to explain, “It is critical that we understand the unfortunate reality and not be negatively affected by it.”

The true code is simple: Character is more important than victory

Does this mean we quickly empty our bank accounts and put the hot fresh cash into the dried cold palms of every homeless person spotted along the road? Does anyone know where Ted Williams is today? His story lit up this nation like a mountain side fire; big brilliant Godlike golden pipes that were swiped from the back roads of this nation and put on display like a goldfish in a tiny bubble. Forget winning the lottery! I want to be homeless! Not a good message at all...

I continue to be deeply inspired by another voice; one that led millions before falling into a bowl of prison inmates, a failed marriage and a completely unheard of disconnection from a group of people who’ve been fed their entire life to forgive but didn’t. Today he’s quietly returned to the building and healing process because it’s his character to believe in the very pages that put him on a journey that now reaches into a world he’s lived and can help keep others from entering.

Do I dare put his name out there for you to ridicule? The universe will let him know of my positive thoughts.

I spent my entire teen years trying to achieve three goals; get into radio, bowl a 300 game at Sunset Bowl and turn my ugly a** unfinished bedroom into a place where imaginations are given permission to grow. Have never accomplished my radio goals, will never bowl a 300 but damn if I haven’t dedicated my soul to stepping onto a silent walker’s path to say nothing more than, “I will always believe in you first.”

arroecollins@clearchannel.com

No comments:

Post a Comment