Friday, June 24, 2011

Mother's Day is always June 28th

July 1st is next Friday! What happened to the summer of 2011? I don’t write the rules but somewhere in the tiny print it calmly explains that once we pop the firecrackers we evolve into screaming crazed zombies trapped on a rollercoaster at Carowinds.



Late Night host David Letterman recently burped up his disappointment by exposing a truer side to his unpredictable personality, “It’s hard to believe my son is seven years old! I just can’t stop it!”



I keep nearby the ashes of my puppy rescues never realizing the number of years each participated with the pages that make up the books we write. I never think of them not being around; they’re always chewing on a sock in the next room or lifting their leg on the neighbor’s mailbox.



Nearly forty nine I feel the greatest gift held is having both parents still just a phone call away. In an age of Face Book, Skype and the occasional Hallmark moment snail mail card…Vi and Joe continue to putt around inside their ancient slippers reaching for the rotary phone. It doesn’t matter how much I beg the mother figure to let me buy her a computer the excuse is all the same, “There’s something to be said about slowing time down.”



Then it happened; NBC 6 reported this morning that our brains are shamelessly evolving into an object that resembles popcorn. The cause of this new effect? We’re spending too much time tapping soon to be forgotten nothingness into the computer.



Holy Hollywood Batman! Movie makers and Star Trek conventions have it wrong…Area 51 isn’t about ET looking Katy Perry space aliens! We’re the bubble heads that’ll invade foreign waters pissing off Godzilla. That wasn’t an earthquake in Japan that was Senator Anthony Weiner’s popcorn brain!



The only known cure handed to me that physically without a doubt is the absolute best weapon against time destroying your perfectly ripe need for a vacation is to flat out no questions asked just do it…locate boredom. I’m talking Oprah’s new network combined with reruns of Beavis and Butthead and Charlie Sheen explaining how hooker’s, drug abuse and getting fired is the breakfast of champions.



Boredom! Take what I’ve written so far and read it ten times. Do all you can to memorize the way of the Arroe. You’ll be so bored that time will take the first flight out of Charlotte Douglas headed straight for the Bermuda Triangle hoping to disappear forever.



I fricken turn 49 next week. I will never be in my 40's again. I can’t tell you about anything that happened because I’m still locked on why nobody came to my eighth birthday party. And now you know why I quickly change the birthday subject choosing instead to recognize those 24 hours as a reason to celebrate motherhood. Lost in the depths of my soul is a mental image of the first time we locked onto each others eyes. For 1.3 seconds my real father’s horrid mental abuse and evil ways of treating people was no longer part of my mother’s path. And now you know why I love music so much. He forced her to sell the only thing she loved…a piano. So my entire life its been my purpose to sing her songs.



Time…I have hundreds of songs shoved onto cassettes that are quickly fading and have spent the past two years in a real recording studio mentally treating myself like a true rock star and the one song I want her to hear most remains unfinished because time hasn’t allowed the producers to find the importance of this project being something of importance.



So…again I’ll put the lyrics of the song out into the universe hoping that one day without notice the poets pen and the desire to paint music inside the eardrums of my mother’s deepest wish to hear songs reaches the soul my father destroyed.



Got thinking about that summer night…

When things didn’t feel right

And I was forced to make that call

To hear your voice before the walls came tumbling down onto the streets made of gold….inside God’s Heaven.



Thank you for believing

Thank you for always seeing

Thank you for all the hugs at night

Thank you for so much insight

I can’t walk with God until I know you’ll be alright

I can’t walk with God until your heart is felt in the kisses you placed so many times on my forehead.



Simple dreams are hard to catch

But you made it worth every step

Monday Tuesday everyday a reason to hold the memories

Childhood pictures have started to fade

But the love I have for you will never be that way

Because you are…

Mom



Driving down the road I couldn’t speak

Such an empty feeling

Heard your voice and had to say



Thank you for believing

Thank you for always seeing

Thank you for all the hugs at night

Thank you for so much insight

I can’t walk with God until I know you’ll be alright

I can’t walk with God until your heart is felt in the kisses you placed so many times on my forehead.



They say we’ve aged but I don’t believe it’s true

Time moves way too fast

But everything becomes alright

When I close my eyes and think of you

You are….

Mom



I love you



arroecollins@clearchannel.com

No comments:

Post a Comment