Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Organizing your wallet creates success...

The depth of the average pocket is measured by what? Living most of my childhood south of the tracks, life’s ever changing obstacle course forgot to introduce me to the importance of owning everything. I still remember the day when finding a weathered feather from a barn swallow heightened the passion for living.

About a month ago Face Book hooked me up to a web page called The Daily Challenge; simple tasks that do more for your invisible self than the person showcased by the color of your car, size of your refrigerator, diameter of the flat screen or how thick the green grows inside the clip purchased at an airport because you got tired of pulling crap out of your pocket and the loose dollars didn’t make sense.

Todays focused is based on getting better control of your spending habits by taking five minutes to organize your wallet. The mission to release excess weight such as receipts, handwritten notes and phone numbers, plastic cards you’ve maxed and no longer use and get out of jail free cards swiped during your last bout with Monopoly.

Freeing up space gives your core energy a place to grow.

Julia Cameron teaches creative writers, painters and musicians to constantly keep a watchful eye on the presentation of their closet. The more you stack, stuff and clutter up the joint the easier it is for you to become depressed, pulled in too many directions and fearful there being a large crash.

My biggest fantasy isn’t to one day find success in radio, have my music featured in Rollingstone Magazine or get my taxes paid on time. I want to rent, steal or borrow a humungous ugly as sin blue dumpster and park it in the driveway; every room, every corner of the yard—throw every chapter of this badly written book away.

No yard sale, flea market or city trash pickup because the last thing I want to experience is to walk into someone’s house and see a radio script signed by Carolina Panther kicker John Kasay hanging on a strangers wall.

This isn’t a negative! We spend our childhood years demanding not to become our parents only to check out wearing our grandparent’s shoes. If you’ve ever spent a weekend wandering through someone’s past shoved into a box and thought, “I’d rather be putting eight hours in at my normal job.” Then you should expect people to feel the same way when you aren’t around to stop them from invading what you call sacred.

How sick are we in the department of hording? Drive slowly through a local campground and see what people are bringing with them. We don’t camp in America we rent temporary spaces to transfer our home to.

I live by one rule in radio…only bring what you can take out in an hour. I still have unopened boxes brimming with 95QQ office clutter from 1993 in the garage. Not just any box…the fancy stuff you get at cool stores that claim its ok to save everything. Promotional pictures when my hair touched my a**, earphones the size of NYC and radio shows on reel; the last time I played on one of those things was 17 years ago.

No wonder I can’t grow in the business! I’ve run out of room to stuff more inside! I know! I’ll write and put everything on a hard drive. How’s that working for ya? Computer running a little slow? How many plastic objects do you have stacked up that would volunteer to melt first during a home fire?

Take five minutes and clean out your wallet. The next time you step on the scale you might actually earn a smile rather than an old person grumble.

I will always believe in you first…

arroecollins@clearchannel.com

No comments:

Post a Comment