Monday, August 15, 2011

Learning how to be you...

Being raised on the back roads of sink or swim never leaves a wandering person’s process of thinking.



I connect dreams with reality.



If it seems that it can’t be achieved the very presence of a giraffe and duck billed platypus re-inspires me to try again. Simple projects that seem wrong can redesign ambition therefore giving you the ability to make dreams a current reality.



I love reading letters sent through careerbuilders.com. The employers always want what you might have so you respond only to get an on-line college begging you to further your education.



Today I responded differently:



Trust me…if you are a true American company you aren’t interested in dedication, loyalty and determination. The working environment only wants people they can bend and shape…having success means nothing to management because every leader fears those below them. If you truly are looking for leaders then you found one that puts his people first and not his resume. It’s a changed America and the one thing you fail to mention in your letter is the need for someone who can break down the walls of current challenges and lead people toward a more successful tomorrow. Solo performers are what killed this country. You will have a more profitable more long term team of brilliant performers if you put someone in charge of motivating not through intimidation but through proper coaching and understanding.



What’s your relationship with the weakest person on the team? Would love to hear your answer and see what you’re doing to better understand their strengths.



Think about it…



Growing up next to my stepfather wasn’t easy because no job was given to us unless we fit properly into the pair of shoes. He constantly called us know it alls and do nothings because every project we got involved in ended up being an unfinished product. He’d lose time and money because to get it done right, Dad would drop what he was doing to do what we were supposed to have done three days earlier.



When you have to dummy down your resume to get any job available…the end result is a working class that no longer sees reason to grow forward.



A cell phone company became ugly with me yesterday when they couldn’t answer the simple questions I brought with me. I called their national customer service hotline not to complain but to get the answer to my questions. At the end of the conversation I asked, “Why is it you guys seem to understand but those employed in your stores treat me like I’m a fool?” She laughed…



Is there really supposed to be a difference between sales and service? Wouldn’t you have better sales if you serviced the client better?



I don’t live in the real world. I produce radio commercials and every so often I’m invited to be a radio disc jockey.



When you create within the walls of radio you almost feel like you’re in the movie The 6th Sense, “I see dead people.” Meaning…I don’t physically see people while talking over songs…my imagination creates your ever changing life and style. To better understand who, what and where you are I spend lots of time watching you in motion at malls, schools, at work, making decisions at car dealers and cell phone stores and while reading magazines oversaturated with print commercials.



I wrote back to the careerbuilders.com employer not to land the job but to learn more about their leadership with those they hire. There’s got to be a reason why decision makers are convinced that employee multi-tasking to the brink of heart attack and a stroke is a wise investment.



The stepfather never gave us too much with too little time to do it. This is the first time in my 49 years of life that I whole heartedly believe his extremely strict work ethics and rules would be a failure in today’s business world. Do I accept it or continue to put faith in maintaining a deep loyalty to attaining quality knowing it no longer carries weight?



Is it stepping back and no longer an act of moving forward if I elect not to change my view on being dedicated with determination with a loyalty to setting high standards?



What are you doing to inspire the weakest member on the team? When was the last time you complimented them on their biggest strength?



I will always believe in you first…



arroecollins@clearchannel.com

No comments:

Post a Comment