Monday, October 10, 2011

Time is worth more than gold yet you are willing to give it away...

Time

What is it?

What is good for?

Why am I addicted to its uncaring power of recklessly taking over everybody’s life and style?

Is there such a thing as being addicted to time? On my path, three hours early is six hours too late. Introduce that to an outsider and honestly I can’t figure out why coworkers, friends and family don’t see eye to eye with me.

According to scientists new addictions are created every day. The brain wouldn’t have it any other way. It’s a large mechanism that unlike a manmade computer finds complete fascination with every reason to develop a relationship with itty bitty can’t be seen by the naked eye neurons that the body generates when feeling good great and phenomenal.

According to science neurons reward the pathway by releasing neurotransmitters called dopamine into the nucleus accumbens and other brain areas.

If it’s got the strength to make you feel wow wee! Chances are you’re addicted. Being early is my rush. But is it an addiction?

I arrived at a wedding on Saturday four hours before the I do’s…the event coordinator quickly halted my walk forward claiming I was too early. A 5pm Sunday afternoon meeting at a local coffee shop requires me to be in the chair by 3:30. At 4:55 my employee calls to tell me he’ll be 15 to 30 minutes late. I exploded. I dealt with it by eating Chinese food for dinner. Today my weight is up, blood pressure is through the roof and the MSG has laid upon me a headache the size of NYC.

But I was up by 4 am to be to work by 7! Sweet! It’s going to be a beautiful day!

Physic forums clearly point out a person can have an obsession with time but not be addicted. Aren’t they one in the same? Nope!

There are 3,200,000 different websites that take on the subject, each being fair to the others presence and yet you walk away still wondering if what you suffer from is a lack of understanding what a synonym is. Obsession and addiction are not related but the shape of their eyes easily comes across as being kissing cousins.

My sister’s love for life is to publically admit that she was once addicted to alcohol and has spent her entire life educating others not only how to battle the disease but live with the constant need to feed other addictions that might disguise itself.

I think Gene Simmons of KISS is a genius in the world of marketing. I’ve heard he’s a rock star but who cares…it’s his mind and the way he processes the items tossed into his thinker that have made reading everything he touches a must have in my life because the bass guitarist is a master at trusting gut instinct and putting just enough energy into it to make it work. I find that to be incredibly inspiring.

I’m not addicted to Simmons…I’m obsessed with his business state of mind.

Face Book and Twitter are addiction makers. Where else can you make friends at the click of a button? There’s no need to have eye to eye contact like Skype, having to use volume in verbal discussions such as your cell phone or locate a reason to get dressed up and waste good smelling mall store cologne on a cheap date at an uptown nightclub.

Time gives me reason to have hope. If I allow time to breathe the end result is quality. I can’t be accused of having too much time on my hands because no day passes that I haven’t spent hours fine tuning a personal tour that has me doing something every moment of every 24 hour period.

I heard the best quote yesterday after the Carolina Panther loss to The Saints; people complaining about our team not being connected to a winning season. It was accusation after accusation, hit! Pow! Boom! Biff! Swing! Clunk! Then the radio announcer says, “What you need to do is stop and think…the other team is taking the time to practice. They know what our team is made of and they spend lots of time during the week making sure they won’t be beat.”

I laughed so hard the man sitting in the car next to me at the traffic light physically reached over to try and find the radio station I was listening to.

My coworkers think I’m insane because I’ve passionately embraced I Heart Radio. Not because of the music…I spend hours listening to the commercials on radio stations in Hawaii, Seattle, Boston, Tampa, Milwaukee and Minot, North Dakota. Somewhere in the mix I’m going to locate the secret combination of words, phrases and vocal deliveries that will be accepted by radio listeners. Instantly I know a fake jock! Immediately I want to tune out. I choose instead to patiently wade through radio’s rip and read methods of processing information and teach up and coming Broadcasters what to listen for. Once you identify a weakness before it occurs time allows you to find success in quality.

Am I addicted to commercials or obsessed? Why don’t listeners and television viewers find it to be entertaining to sit through commercial breaks? We love the Super Bowl not for the game but what’s in between. The other 51 weeks of the year are spent tossing words away.

I’ve always wanted to watch a Sunday morning preacher just toss a sermon away. Just get up there and bang it out. It takes time to build foundations. No wonder thousands are beginning to protest around the country against Corporate

America…time isn’t money; time is what stands in the way of Wall Street making gains. Businesses need acceptance and fine tuning your machine to the point of attaining quality requires time they don’t have. Hire and fire…it no longer matters because colleges and universities are spitting out the fresh meat every day.

Time…

No day passes that I don’t dress up like a clown for the fake face I show isn’t my true identity…it is the sad heart of an entertainer that can’t find an audience to support his stage…so I choose to go along with because there are moments that time truly isn’t worth fighting for…and that’s why our nation’s financial rating is no longer a solid three. Time means nothing to way too many decision makers.

Outside a Harris Teeter store in Ballantyne hangs a banner that reads: Don’t forget your Boss on Bosses Day! Instantly I became sick to my stomach. What are the chances my boss even knows my name. I held onto it all night. I couldn’t wait to write this morning. Three sentences deep into this blog and in walks my boss with a handwritten letter that clearly states: Thank you for taking the time to create incredible radio commercial production.

Time…it really is worth your investment.

arroecollins@clearchannel.com

No comments:

Post a Comment