Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Stop busting your ass trying to be one of them!

Brian Andreas is an author/illustrator who’s comical as well as thought provoking. The depths of his quotes can either move you or slide the unwritten into slivers of darkness to later be found by a different generation during a different recession.

I laughed out loud at his quote, “My great aunt told me to remember that old people need bananas.”

Instantly I could hear the vocal tones of countless teachers; be it a brother, mother, preacher or former 60’s child turned next door neighbor…we’re all invited to the quirkiest places when meaning well turns into a blurred moment I call: What the hell are you talking about?

Because 98.7% of what I write daily, share on the radio, sing by way of giving a poet a voice or pout like a child about while trying to figure out the constantly changing surface of a dead American economy I can spew out heartedly on the subject without shattering the protective devices that shelter the innocent from such political incorrectness.

What? Exactly!

Brian’s great aunt reminded him that old people need bananas. I on the other page have mastered the fine art of run on sentence structure; having a willingness to turn what could’ve easily been a simple thought into a skyscraper weight on life’s paper plate.

Wal-Mart, Target, Kohl’s, Kmart and Exxon are great examples of the purification of communication. It doesn’t matter where you travel the term “locals” has been replaced by “everybody’s the same.”

I remember reading a newspaper article about the president of Food Lion who clearly made it his daily goal to guarantee shoppers that no matter where they purchased Food Lion groceries they’d always find the items in the same row in Salisbury, NC to Charleston to Invisible town USA.

Fifteen years down the road such practices hit me in the temple while in hot pursuit of a product.

My wife looked at me with shock asking, “How did you know it was here? You’ve never been in this store!”

“Tom told me!”

Today, while the hygienist performed her magic I found myself being 98.7% over her head. She went 99%.

I learned so much about life in pre and post Soviet Union/Russia during the Gorbechev years that I’m now a certified history teacher at Independence High School.

That’s what’s missing from our daily duties! Rather than focusing solely on a universal presentation of discussion the true mission is to make your own statement. Create a voice and stick to its character.

I love it when people say I suck on the radio. The Broadcaster in me perks up and pays close attention to the shape of their conversation. Not everybody wants to talk about the Occupying protestors making headlines in Oregon, NY and I’d say Charlotte but their purpose hasn’t been justified. Has anyone heard a burp, fart or tooth picking from any of them? Oh wait…it’s that Wal-Mart thing…you don’t really have to make noise just put a store in anywhere USA.

I was shocked to learn that Jennifer Roberts has publically unveiled her political plans and it no longer includes another run for city council. Her vocal strength and ability to move through a defensive line of aggressive deal makers has always been incredibly inspiring.

I had to write to her in my Arroe 98.7% way!

Is it selfish to have wanted you as our Mayor? Then to see you are leaving our council. Your leadership is unlike anything. You are strong, bold and caring. You are the type of leader that inspires as well influences positive change while setting out to offer change. Whatever your plans I am so proud of you and your strength to lead in a time when such positions are places of weakness. The future belongs to you.

She wasted no time writing back:

Thanks so much for your support. There is much I am interested in, so after this coming year on the Commission I will be exploring many new ways to serve this community. I am not leaving this community, nor am I walking away from service. I am taking time to thoughtfully and deliberately find the next place to apply my energy and talent!



Missing from our world is the term “Locals.”



It’s our language…from writing, to talking, whistling to humming a few bars while slowly walking through the huge collection of perfume scented lanes at Belk South Park. You could blind fold me and I’d know that store from the billions trying to copy its style.

I sat with a business owner recently whose mission is to sell Lake Wylie property. Being a Carolinian of only 27 years I cranked up my local to 98%.

What is the true term of Lake Wylie?

What club sat on the corner of Tyvola and I-77?

Why are there so many roads named Sharon in south Charlotte?

What did John Boy and Billy call the statue they wanted to put outside of the old coliseum?

Why is it called the Grady Cole Center?

I’m just saying…a little over the head conversation is a good thing on days when everything around us has been designed by

out of towner’s that have no fricken clue what Charlottean’s do, say or react to. Make fun of us during the threat of snow but don’t you dare tell us BBQ from St Louis is greater than that secret something something they douce on the pork in Lexington.

Be you even if it means someone’s gonna look at you with no intent of paying attention. You weren’t born to make the world happy. The day has come that we put our vocal foot down and realize businesses don’t make the people. People make the business. What you bring to the center of that companies energy is the very reason why so many companies used to keep their doors open for 50 to 100 years. Now that businesses have decided to shape their people the only thing we see are out of business signs.

Just saying…

arroecollins@clearchannel.com

No comments:

Post a Comment