Thursday, October 11, 2012

I'm OK With You Being A Cold Hearted Bastard

The focus this week has leaned pretty hard on developing better methods of communication. I being of sound mind am not an expert nor do I pretend to hold the almighty truths that lay upon the soils governed by the mid afternoon extreme heat connected to time that which feeds the streams of inner peace. I often accuse the "Radio" industry of being 500 channels off Jimmy Buffets changes in longitudes and latitudes. We laugh when comics mimic our attention spans, "I hope to God a squirrel doesn't appears in the middle of my joke!" Texting, Twittering, Face Booking and Office emails mess with other people's minds. It doesn't matter how many happy faces :> LOL's or Ha Ha Ha's one places in the body of a paragraph, the core becomes unexpectedly sore and sour igniting a towering inferno. Only to hear, "What? I didn't say anything!" Digital technology has moved more people than The Beatles on Ed Sullivan. The introduction of Tivo and the DVR has wrapped typical Human behavior in a dirt stained sock and evolved it back into a monkey. Why should we listen, pay attention or make a decision when the flat screen can be paused, rewound, fast forward and or just turned off? Be it Face Book, Twitter or fine tuning your method of self acceptance; no man nor woman walks this planet without having eye to eye contact, arms that reach outward and big small or extremely stinky feet easily influenced by yours, a coworker or a family member's body language. I cringe while falling 5,000 feet into a valley of oversaturated waste when I spot a passerby sporting the look of arms being crossed. Nothing says, "I don't give a crap more than the ten fingers planted into a pair of sweaty arm pits." This one is gonna piss off a lot of people: The act of asking for Advil, Tylenol or expecting someone to pick up a hot steamy burger or Starbucks coffee without expecting a price to be paid. Or worse...not covering the sales tax." How we communicate in 2012 isn't the way my stepfather Joe lead his army of adopted children. I grew up assuming his real name was E.F. Hutton. When Joe spoke; everybody listened. The moment I attempt to pull that freakishly outdated method of leadership off is a sure guarantee the Operations Manager will walk into my recording studio and deliver his way of communicating, "Stop being an ass." I was invited to share a message last night with a group of future Broadcasters. Without wasting hard to locate seconds leading to minutes, I quickly introduced my weakness, "I'm gonna be real. I speak from the heart. I use personal experience as a tool and no matter how strong your inner legs are you're gonna have to pee and I'm gonna keep on talking." Jonathan the Preacher Man, he who dares to step into my studio to bend the shape of spirituality through methods of modern writing explained to me this morning, "The chances you take during lectures showcases the importance you put in being a mammal." Most speakers, office leaders, heads of family follow guidelines or mapped out, heavily thought out approaches that offer safety nets. By exercising the Mammal Lobe of your personality it enables you to think like humans were born to create. Reptilian Lobes don't react to innovation. Reptiles find no motivation in locating the hunt. They stand in one place without blinking, waiting patiently for their next meal. Lizards never seem excited about having to lick up a chunk of bug while being just three inches from a fresh plate of larva. Jonathan challenged me to take a different look at the entire picture painted on our daily reality. Base no opinion on how you think someone should react. I naturally assume everybody loves radio and animals like me. If not I accept the challenge now let's fight about it. Jonathon continues, "Instantly make them a Mammal or Reptile and your reaction toward their participation or lack of will help build a better foundation to step on or around." Within moments you can digest a Face Book page, the goal should be to determine the identity of the person that offers nothing to your day. We've been convinced by every shape of media and medium that Social Networking is the language of 2012 when in reality...it's just another squirrel. I lost you at hello... As for last nights lecture? It was about the structure of Broadcasting and how each department operates. I was broad with my casting. I laughed outloud several times at at how out of tune listeners are toward Mammal reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment