Monday, October 15, 2012

The Perfect Storm Means A Much Better You

A collision of two storms. Separate pages from different stages with an unexpected intent that was meant to be met. CBS Sunday Morning contributor Faith Salie reacted to New York Times critic Neil Genzlinger who had expressed how much he disliked the word "Really?" As in, Really? Salie explained "Really?" is pop culture's pithiest way to deliver a withering put-down. In today's abbreviated world of texting and 140-character tweets, this adverb says it all. But adverbs aren't meant to say it all! Adverbs, we know, are meant to modify a verb, an adjective, or another adverb. They help us understand things more clearly and more vividly. The problem with "Really?" is that when it stands alone, it's an unimaginative riposte. A few hours earlier I sat in a huge theater listening to New York Best Selling author Steven Furtick tossing out influential sentences geared toward steering an individual to a better understanding of who they had become or were evolving into, "I am _________ because. Really?" Let me give you an example: Since the age of nine I've been physically involved with everything associated with and or required to become a "Radio" Broadcaster because I'm deeply in love with performing. Really? Thirty three years in the business I disagree with that answer. Taking the word "Really" and putting it to use, I'm given a new path to explore, to think, plan out and invest energy into. Since the age of nine I've been physically involved with everything associated with or required to become a "Radio" Broadcaster because I believe the combination of incredible music and well planned out thoughts that were written out have the ability to change people's lives. I love hearing how a simple thought swiped a listener from the depths of a horrid day. I'm inspired by non-profit groups on an endless vision quest to get valuable information into the hands of the uneducated and believe it or not there used to be a time when "Radio" cared about the community it was licensed to serve. Wait! Wait! Let's combine the separate "Really" storms. If New York Times critic Neil Genzlinger calls the word a withering put down. In essence I'm using negative energy to envelope my passion to perform into newer reasons to continue pushing forward. Really? No... Well without "Radio" I wouldn't have spent three decades studying better more meaningful methods of using words. Who I am in a Blog is far from the forefront of my true personality. I'm completely fascinated with word shapes that "Radio" Program Directors have never seen as being marketable and worth their investment. I'm constantly accused of being weird, too far out there and not in touch with the average listener because today's society is based on delivering objects of mental desire that can easily be digested then spit out at the next stop light. I believe every "Radio" jock should write then perform a Wedding Ceremony. Really? While at 107.9 in Charlotte, Program Director Mike Edwards took the time to ask, "Who are you producing for?" It changed the rhythm and rhyme in my daily time. I had spent just over twenty years focused on sounding cool without understanding who and what a "Radio" listener was. I had put the pictures of people in front of me! I attended local events and promotions! I slowly walked through malls viewing human behavior. But nowhere on the journey did I stop and listen to those I expected to listen to me. In writing and officiating vows my words help couples reach 60 years where as in Radio the trend was barely 60 seconds. Restlessly designing the next seven second song intro inside those car speakers are "Real" people addicted to scoring the highest ratings. If the elements of "Broadcasting" suddenly changed where the Jock could physically see eyes, lips, coffee stained teeth and agitated fingertips only seconds from changing stations...the "Personality" of the talent might in fact change. Really? No not really? My attempt is to paint better pictures of an industry thousands crave to make part of the chapters they write only to realize being "Really, Really" good "Might" score an internship in the Promotions department. Challenge yourself to play Steven Furtick's "Really" game then open your opinionated secret side of your personality to the possibility of there being a bigger reason why you cherish the scent of fresh cut wood, roses or oil that's been sleeping inside an engine for six months. Once you've achieved a player's piece...accept the next level of the game by giving your "Really" answer a spin through the Neil Genzlinger cycle of life's washing machine. Since the July of 1994 I've chosen to write every day because it helps me learn more about the person hidden behind the image in the mirror. Really?

No comments:

Post a Comment