Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Understanding The Magic Of Magician's Doc Docherty And Chris Hannibal

In 1936 author Tom Robbins was quoted to say, "If you take any activity, any art, any discipline, any skill- take it and push it as far as it will go, push it beyond where it's ever been before, push it to the wildest edges of edges, then you force it into the realm of magic." There's that word! "Magic!" My biggest pet peeve is being bathed in the warm waters of conversation salted by someone's best explanation of what it is I do, "You have this way of creating magic." Carolina magician's Doc Docherty and Chris Hannibal brilliantly fool the mind's eye with faster than hurricane speeds. I've said, "Wow!" so many times while watching their unstoppable stage performances it's become a ringer on a thousand smart phones. That's magic! And yet Tom Robbins believes any activity, any art, discipline and any skill when pushed hard enough has every right to stand on its own stage under a hot set of lights called "magic." I would never think to call Tom Cruise, Hanks and Selleck magicians. Nor would I want to stand next to Paul Stanley, Giamatti and Ryan and ask them to show me the trick again but move through their methods extremely slow so I can catch what I keep missing. Musicians, actors, politicians, bankers and Wal-Mart greeters own a share of the "magic" pie. Why then, with so much available ability do we keep bumping into brothers, sisters, neighbors and coworkers who verbally expose their dispositions giving off the scent of having no reason to look forward? According to author Rhonda Byrne...there's a serious disconnection with what we think success is and isn't. No matter how hard you try. Forget the dollar amounts spent getting an education. Throw out the mentors and classic instructors that fearlessly taught new techniques...you still can't lay your hands on this thing called "success." If Tom Robbins believes "magic" is what we all do...why then aren't you flipping bunnies out of a financial hat? Byrne believes the daily playing field changes when the performer begins a process of showcasing "gratitude." You have to be grateful for what you have. Permanent success is impossible. Let me give you a great example: About five to ten times a day my moods of many venture into the darkest areas of disbelief with no inner core of love and support. My mouth and thought process generate more negative energy toward the person I am that it convinces my feet, boney knees and pumpkin sized head that what I do in a radio station production room is 1,000 times worse than burying mold covered trash at the city dump. How do I pop out it without popping meds? I remind myself how much time and raw energy went into an advertising clients day. It takes sweat, dedication and loyalty to generate enough profit to buy advertising. To keep the flow of "magic" moving in their lives...required are customers. Thinking of that connection inspires me to create. There's no pre-work out powder on the market that can match the electricity swiftly spinning within. Robin Byrne invites you to view "the good things" about work. Although opportunity is null and void in modern America, what you bring to the office, grocery store or under the hood of a car changes people's lives. You in essence create magic. Inside my recording studio is a cartoon caricature of morning radio personality Paul Schadt. While some might think it being taped near my microphone is typically odd Arroe art...the truth offers a deeper richer texture to the front page of the "magic." Every commercial I produce will probably air on his highly rated morning show. Those commercials shoot from the speakers influencing a new "I want that" attitude. The listener's life changes because they were able to afford the new product. The client is excited to see the new customers. Although I've never come out and physically said it...but each time I see Paul in the hall, mentally I thank him for letting me display my art on his show. The extremely famous artist Peter Max comes across as someone who enjoys selling his mind blowing paintings. Yet...he still takes the time to travel the country to share a genuine thank you to galleries, art collectors or plain Jane fans. I'll never forget meeting him the first time! We talked about using Sharpie's as a medium. He was more interested in me than I was in him. The next time we met the conversation grew into his passion for the universe. We spent 45 minutes on the phone one afternoon discussing why I stopped putting poetry on my canvases. Never once did he end a conversation without saying, "Thank you." "If you take any activity, any art, any discipline, any skill- take it and push it as far as it will go, push it beyond where it's ever been before, push it to the wildest edges of edges, then you force it into the realm of magic." I will never thank my boss for keeping me employed. Neither should you. What keeps you employed is what you bring to your everyday. I think it's time you start thanking yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment