Thursday, June 27, 2013

Pictures Of A New Book: Page Forty Four

Getting to know a character in your story can sometime feel like a chapter away. Then, from out of nowhere. The next sentence pulls from the universe the perfect opportunity for them to have a rightful place inside your rhyming reason. I didn't go into my current write Scrambled Eggs with the vision to hoist more than five different faces to the surface. Painting the scene. Decorating the air with atmosphere. Giving life to wilting flowers. And in walks someone that some other day could've been just a passerby! I instantly sit back. Study the paragraphs before his or her appearance. "Crap!" I scream. "Who invited this one to the page?" Instantly the blame is put on your ten fingers. They look up at me with total attitude, "Hey! We do more than type words onto a computer screen. Remember who keeps the line hitting the pot when peeing." Adding characters is difficult when addicted to a first draft based on beginning middle and end. How do you explain it to the rest of the invisible actors? The moment a new face races onto the front side of a nameless page. I begin to ask questions. Not a word lands near or above them. I hit the daily writing journal and accept all sides to sit with me and wonder why. If enough cologne or perfume is left for the writer to paint words with. There's a big chance their image isn't going to be highlighted then deleted. Words lead me to characters. I'm typing away minding my own business when all of a sudden: A misspelled word sends out an all call alert. This reminds me of. Wow I remember when. Hey...there's no better way to thicken up some drama then to develop a character you can easily kill off. While in New York. I bumped into a comic book store manager with bright orange hair. Absolutely she had to be in my book! She wasn't supposed to appear though until three quarters of the journey. But what did the writer do? A NY scene at the park. My main characters take note of how funny life is when people act like themselves and my orange hair girl walks across the writing sharing a simple smile then leaving. I love adding new characters. Get to know yours. Don't instantly shove them into delete mode. Their appearance could lead to some very interesting eye candy.

No comments:

Post a Comment