Friday, February 8, 2013

Pictures Of A New Book: Part Twenty Five

I'm often accused of wearing my passion for creativity on my sleeves. Which is an outsiders way of saying, "You deserve to get injured." The greatest thing about being a writer is having the opportunity to secretly be a writer. The world doesn't have to know you put pen to paper or roughed up your fingerprints on horridly designed computer keyboards. The more you write the easier it is to breathe. The more you write the farther you see. The more you write the more control you have over completely gone insane quirky people that fail to realize their awkwardness in your life will soon be featured on your pages. I've been pissed off at God for making me a writer. I want sleep at night not gift my imagination to just enough rest to figure out a scene. I want to watch a great Nicholas Sparks movie not study his habits and connections with a viewing audience! Today I threw my writing to the side. I was out of control angry because someone inside the real career gave my creativity away promising there would be more at no charge. I slammed my lead characters into a realm of silence. I turned my back on the purpose of there being a soon to be book called Scrambled Eggs. I turned off John Lennon. How dare I assume I had the right to be so punishing to something that wants nothing more out of life than to create. I don't have multiple personalities. I have characters inside unwritten books waiting impatiently to be given names and a face. Then I was pushed into a pool of thoughts called Why We Write.
A new book that speaks not to my surface self but the little bastard inside that's been pushing ink into a once living tree since the 2nd grade. Why We Write from Meredeth Maran. I have nearly 20 years of daily journals with four billion different answers. I hate it when non-writers try and tell me how to build a sentence or create a radio commercial. I can't stand it when sentences run so long I've pee'd my pants and not even noticed it. I don't write to feed my ego. I don't write to locate a legacy or find enough faith to brag of modern day politics. I write because one day I'll find a set of eyes that'll whisper, "I'm no longer lonely." Through writing you might think you've discovered a couple of magic tricks when in reality it was nothing more than you being you. 90% of the time that's all I need to find peace. I shout out my birth name and then laugh. Cuz that's what my Mom would do each time she'd take note of my imagination racing in places I could never explain but damn it felt good while I was there.

No comments:

Post a Comment