Thursday, January 19, 2012

Music is just rhythmic mud...

Have you ever had one of those days when your intended destination is set on a mind driven performance and without notice and preparation a whisper of wind from the heart shifts the position of the sails requiring the journey to glide northward?

Growing up in a pair of Montana shoes, a child learns his or her foot loosely planted in the dark, heavier than rocks but extremely mystifying mud made in the
Big Sky Country has a way of affecting outside lives.

Commonly found in cow pastures and a struggling farmer’s growing field the newly formed section of land that’s taken shape on the bottom of your soles has a way of deflating a Mother’s beautiful home intentions while heightening the presence of a young one’s imagination.

Mud makes people move.

I call it your true signature.

Montana mud is deeply enriched with incredible thickness giving it the strength to stick to everything…

For some God forsaken reason I find tremendous amounts of energy and inspiration in wet dirt; believing anyone, everyone, bad bosses and your worst enemy have the ability to make it. Once generated the gift isn’t a line left in the sand but the remnants of knowing someone has made you move.

Take the new song Good Feeling from Flo Rida. What did I just step in?
If the streets of Heaven are truly made of gold I think a chunk of it just bopped the pop which stopped the talk forcing me to drop the needle on a stack of wax that’s gonna last longer than forever. Somebody call the future! Good Feeling is gonna be ripping up car speakers from here to twenty thirty seven!

Flo Rida has sampled a shiver making set of rhythms that swipes the Blues from Soul.

Good Feeling doesn’t rip Etta James from her fame but spreads her greatness like Montana mud across our present day kitchen floor.

Something’s Got A Hold On Me from Etta James was released in my birth year of 1962. I don’t know if my farmhand Mother used to sing it while mending fences, branding calves and breaking horses but Flo Rida’s remix has elevated my senses beyond a stereotypical Hollywood drama based on the powers of reincarnation.

Etta’s early sixties release isn’t surface level church choir Aretha Franklyn-esque but downright Preacher man is disappointed that he didn’t see you in the Holy House this past Sunday.

But like Montana mud…music has a way of offering separate shades of reaction and destinations.

What I find earth quaking, shaking and mind-crater baking might in fact be the cheap rubber heal of an old pair of leather boots scraped across a set of finely designed hardwood floor planks made to gift your smile with an I’ve made it to greatness kind of day.

Sort of like the words we share.

Like the melody of a song, it won’t be long that something someone said will stick to your feet like Montana mud basking in the opportunity to be stretched from the open doors of policy through a foundation that doesn’t belong to you.

And just like Good Feeling from Flo Rida, fifty years after its birth the impact of the message shared today will be part of decisions made.

Respect…
Don’t expect…
The abused becomes the abuser…
It’s what you say and how you deliver it that makes the house look dirty.

Shhhhhh…let me lean over here and help you steer. Time to shine. Pour some vibes in the heart vines. I’m gonna release into the air the songs that put you there.
Not to take you back because that’s too much fat. The weight isn’t freight… it’s belief from a leaf, the seed of light for your tree of life.

Thanks to Flo Rida I’m singing me some Etta James!

Oh sometimes I get a good feeling…
I get a feeling I never never never had before.
I just wanna tell you right now
I believe.
I really do believe yeah…
Something’s got a hold on me right now.
Oh it must be love
Let me tell ya now I got a feeling I feel so strange
Everything about me seems to have changed.
Step by step I’ve got a brand new walk
I even sound sweeter when I talk.
Oh, Oh, Oh!
Let me tell you it must be love!

I will always believe in you first…

arroecollins@clearchannel.com

No comments:

Post a Comment