Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Knowing someone will not get you to the top...

Maybe it’s my cold winter morning Montana upbringing but the lifeline connected to each corner of the world to which I travel…there’s got to be reason for a debate—a challenge of sorts that heightens the level of ones blood pressure while swiping from the lungs of those involved a truer feeling toward something the average person keeps hiding.



Come on! We all live and work with people who constantly love what it is you bring to the table—only until it affects them, then suddenly the relationship is spoiled because the support system has an oversized hole in it.



Dr. Gary Ranker who authored the book Political Dilemmas At Work finds debating extremely healthy, its an incredible way to reach a collective group nirvana.



Managers, department heads and other big sticks in the mud constantly create ways to make waves and nothing injures them more than the typical employee shrug of the shoulders followed by, “I don’t know…I guess.”



Demanding a debate, feedback or challenging people to think on their own two feet is quickly becoming a lost art…or does the truth lie within the depths of fear of losing your job? From top to bottom at any job in anywhere USA, the squeaky wheel in 2009 can be easily be replaced.



Ranker claims its time to stop exploiting and punishing your employees and start listening to what they think.



Not debating prevents action. Being assertive and making demands of people swipes from the dynamics of what each individual player brings to the game. The best way to get ahead is to drop the political backdrop while adjusting your style of presentation.



During my three to five hour lectures in front of twenty five to one hundred broadcasting wanna-be’s my top goal is to reach into their assumptions and rip reality from their heart. The first stop on the journey is to listen to a person’s dreams. I want to know who they are and what on earth gave them the energy to want to spend half a day listening to a radio work-a-holic?



The debate begins the very second I hear someone say, “I was over at Mike’s Family Restaurant and they said I had a good voice.”



By challenging the person to level with me it opens the door to reality. The voice might sound great but I want to hear the truer tale of how he stood in front of the mirror holding a hair brush like a microphone and talked like a disc jockey. That’s when I instantly tap into the core of their dreams about to come true.



I debate not to anger the steps to which you’ve taken to reach me. I live off the bricks that build a firmer foundation of success.



Dr. Gary Ranker feels American businesses fail today because nobody is taking the time to point out the dynamics of a great team and or experience. Learn to break down the debates and challenges. Study the roots through an open view toward gaining access to a level of being honest.



Received a letter recently from Jordon who has suddenly decided he wants to do voice over work on radio and television commercials. He blatantly asks me to produce a demo of commercials while gifting his new found path with places to locate vocal work.



I couldn’t let this one go without a debate, especially since I keep hearing an old program directors words loud and clear, “Radio is nothing more than a playground for former Taco Bell employees who got tired of hoisting food out the window to waiting customers.” Ouch!



As much as I want to talk to Curtis who stood in front of the mirror pulling off vocal tones that resembled the mighty voice on the air…he’s actually the guy I kind of walk by because he’s learned the first steps of the business—pretend to be somebody you’re not.



Do I come across as a jerk? Yes! Am I a jerk? Depends on who you’re talking to and what demands they’ve placed on my day. I debate to reach reality. It’s an act of true leadership that should be continued because it involves everybody. Unlike Quentin Tarantino, Adam Sandler and George Lucas who write, produce and direct every film they make then complain when it doesn’t attract people to the box office.



By surrounding yourself with yes men you’re setting the ladder of success up for failure.



Learn to ask for peoples ideas because it helps you achieve a better way to climb or dig below a daily mountain of changes and challenges. Getting angry about debates is 100% unhealthy later producing an avenue of horrid thinking and serious lack of productivity.



Do I want you to steal my art? Would you even know what to do with it? Nice! The debate is on!



arroecollins@clearchannel.com

No comments:

Post a Comment