Wednesday, February 9, 2011

I've got nothing...what do you have to say?

What can I say?

According to singer/songwriter John Mayer, “Say what we need to say.”

To say is no different than being a single page locked inside a book by its cover, the weight of so much judgment is why so many eyes read the backside but hardly if ever the dedication.

To say or not to say! This is where my memory banks become flooded with portraits of the father figure who’d interrupt a budding imagination with, “Stop being a know it all. What you have to say means nothing to those who have something to say.”

Maybe that’s why I got into radio; not to say but to play what other’s choose to sing; which is nothing more than saying what you want to say but I being a slave of too much to say fell tremendously short on supporting what invited mass appeal because too much time was spent creating things to say about album covers.

I’ll never forget the one day back in 98 or a little later because I want to protect the innocent…when the manager of the radio station had something to say, “Don’t ever say anything about the President unless you clear it with me first.”

Janet Jackson’s costume malfunction made it impossible for radio people to say things in real time; everything today is on a say delay. If shattered fines could reach as high as $250,000. This is radio! I haven’t made anything near that during my thirty two years of broadcast. I’m not saying anything!

This past weekend s Super Bowl advertiser wanted to say something about John 3:16 but were blocked out by the network. I can’t say anything! I can’t even invite you to read my book Conversation with the Devil because that’s looked upon as being plugola which is illegal. So I didn’t say anything!

So what can I say? What would you like to say? Face Book seemed like a pretty safe place until Dawnmarie Souza was fired for saying something honest. Turns out it was ok, something about freedom of speech so she won a lot of money.

Mark Twain wanted to say more than we were willing to read. Writing an autobiography was his greatest challenge because what he vowed to say was, “Wow! There’s some seriously out of control craziness going on in this country!” One hundred years after verbally delivering his nearly unheard vocal talents into a box that recorded voices with its pitch, volume and tone…the say say say from Mark Twain is rich with a writer’s written accent.

I must admit the father figure was correct in his way to say things; what I want to say means nothing to those who have something to say. It saddens me to see so many having nothing to say about these horrid gas prices and what it’s about to do to China’s America. Only to learn I’ve got nothing to say because we aren’t paying what the rest of the world has been forced to pay.

1. Asmara, Eritrea | $9.59

2. Oslo, Norway | $7.41

3. Copenhagen, Denmark | $6.89

4. Hong Kong | $6.87

5. Berlin, Germany, and Monaco, Monte Carlo | $6.82

6. London, U.K. | $6.60

7. Rome, Italy | $6.44

8. Paris, France | $6.04

9. Sao Paulo, Brazil | $5.69

10. Seoul, Korea | $5.55

11. Tokyo, Japan | $5.40

12. Singapore, Singapore | $4.81

13. Nairobi, Kenya | $4.31

14. Mumbai, India | $4.25

15. Santiago, Chile | $4.18

16. Johannesburg, South Africa | $4.05

17. Sydney, Australia | $3.84

18. Toronto, Canada | $3.81

19. Beijing, China | $3.71

20. Bangkok, Thailand | $3.64

21. Buenos Aires, Argentina | $3.58

22. Havana, Cuba | $3.64

23. Karachi, Pakistan | $3.02

24. New York, U.S. | $2.85

25. Moscow, Russia | $2.80

26. Mexico City, Mexico | $2.45

27. Lagos, Nigeria $1.62

28. Dubai City, United Arab Emirates $1.57

29. Cairo, Egypt | $1.17

30. Kuwait, City, Kuwait | 85 cents

31. Riyadh, Saudi Arabia | 45 cents

32. Tehran, Iran | 32 cents

33. Caracas, Venezuela | 6 cents

No matter where you travel forget how much it cost to get there; to say is a beautiful thing only if you locate someone willing to listen.

I will always believe in you first…

arroecollins@clearchannel.com

No comments:

Post a Comment