Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Words of wisdom from Police Chief Rodney Monroe...

Charlotte Police Chief Rodney Monroe saw no walls, felt no need to stop at the base of the unforeseen mountain, didn’t fear walking through a thick cloud that had been lying undetected on the path for thirty six months and counting. The Police Chief held back nothing when expressing with deep regret and sorrow, “You can’t teach stupid.”

There’s no need to burden your life with the presence of heavy seeds invited by such leaves of change, his reasons for sharing can be located in places where newsmakers hang their fingerprints before releasing thoughts and emotions into awaiting computer faces and newspaper headlines.

I don’t come here to report news; I choose instead to listen…

Quickly draping my fingers around the DVR’s remote control I rewound the Police Chief’s quote over and over wanting to make sure I heard every vowel, consonant and word formation…his front forwardness was a declaration to anyone, everyone including myself to stop blaming mistakes and failures on someone other than yourself.

In this current world based on being politically correct none of this should be discussed and yet each of us is affected hourly by the end results of the newly accepted.

Light heartedly we allow the misplacement of time to be no longer of importance. For years Jay Leno has jokingly made fun of Californian’s who take being late and turn it into a reason to relax, breathe in the air, eliminate the rush from your tush and be all you can without hurrying. A major league business owner looks at me every month and says, “Now Arroe…you know when I say Wednesday at 11 AM I really mean it’ll happen sometime this week. I promise to never take up too much of your time.”

This is the farthest of Captain Rodney’s concerns but serves as a great starting place for a poet with a pen to share a vision of how unaccountable we’ve become for the actions we continue to forge into the side of objects that force others to stop, look around and like it or not accept it.

How often during the average week do you fall witness to an action that generated a reaction that your father in his earlier years would’ve found reason to tan your hide for? The one person I never wanted to become was my Stepfather; through my eyes he was mean, hateful, out of control stern and featured a loud mouth that could be heard sixteen blocks from the house. Today, I’ve been taught to talk soft, inviting, easily encouraging, accepting bad for good because nobody wants to stifle creative flow. I pray everyday my daughter’s two kids grow up not wanting to be me, “What a weakling! He’s the wimp on the beach that gets sand kicked in his face cuz its wrong to step up and make right out of what’s been wronged.”

I honestly don’t know how Joe and Vi average are going to take Police Chief Rodney’s vocal delivery, “You can’t teach stupid.”

My martial arts Master has driven deep into our mind body and souls that winning is a choice. Does that mean?

Am I a victim of being too politically correct by not finishing the sentence?

I know if I act stupid in Tae Kwon Do there’ll be an injury, quite possibly one that’ll be carried with you the rest of your life. I know if I act stupid walking in a bank the hired security will be on me quicker than the financial institution whips money from my checking account. I know if I get in the car, don’t buckle my seat belt and drink alcohol while driving 110 mph down a single lane highway the final thought from my father will undoubtedly be, “I didn’t teach him to be stupid.”

I can’t even swat my adult dogs that should’ve known better. I look at Sami and Harold and calmly explain, “I would never do something to ruin your day…why do you continue to run after the squirrels? It hurts my bare feet to run through the forest like that. Please, please stop doing that to me.”

I’m man enough to admit such make nice behavior makes me look pretty damn stupid to the rest of the hood.

I didn’t get smacked around as a kid. I felt a cowboy boot in the rump once or twice but the mere mention of the Stepfather getting angry wiped the stupid right off my determination. Seriously, outside of losing your job…when was the last time your next choice was governed by an act that hoisted you away from looking stupid?

If Master Harris tells me to do 50 push ups…I don’t make noises and run home to pout in the corner. I do them no questions asked. I believe so much in his spirit and presentation of discipline that when I fail to deliver perfect form the next decision is to focus on being better not look out across the room for supporters of being stupid. Stupid isn’t comedy…the only reason why others laugh is because they know you’re a** is grass.

What if accountability became law?

Now that’s comedy! It’ll never happen…those attempting to keep it alive will be told to keep silent or be sent to special training to be shown how encouragement is an act that no longer questions allowing it to become a decision they’ve chosen to make and not you who knows better.

“You can’t teach stupid…” said Police Chief Rodney Monroe on Tuesday August 24, 2010

arroecollins@clearchannel.com

No comments:

Post a Comment