Thursday, July 7, 2011

Is it time for a new movie role?

I don’t read books. My bad habit is studying the once blank pages where someone laid their ink stained fingerprints. I’m not a book critic but rather a creature that demands more input.

A coworker begins the day with a friendly, “Good morning!”

The chase begins…it becomes a mission to better understand the origin of such greetings.

Three questions:

A. Is it morning because a Webster’s Dictionary says it so?
B. Do third shifters say good morning when getting home?
C. Do they truly wish me a good morning?

Wordpress.com calls it mechanical. It’s an automatic that instantly pops into play. 80% of what we do on a daily basis is repetitive. Every dream we have or subject that makes you angry or fearful is like watching cable TV in the summer…repeat after repeat.

Studies show this is why the divorce rate is through the roof. Saying I love you is role playing. It’s too easy to turn the channel.

A co-creative comes into my studio yesterday beginning the conversation with a compliment. I caught myself taking cover and instantly brought it to his attention,

“Please don’t begin any conversation with me that calls my work incredible or the client loved it.”

Shocked by my interruption he quickly learned of how I knew his next step would be to make changes to the project. Complimenting first isn’t good business…it puts the receiver on the defense. You want something and to get it a little ego boosting seems to be the current wave of reaching a destination.

I never walk into McDonald’s and tell the manager, “I love what you’ve done to the place! Smells like a Starbucks in here!” I offer a friendly smile, get the fish sandwich then get on with my life.

With so much interaction on Face Book, Twitter and smart phones we’ve become the loneliest mess of people in history. Screwing things up isn’t the desire to connect but the material we bring to the center of the stage.

I never call someone by their real name when they enter my space. It’s boring! Kris Stevens on 969 the Kat has been called Kevin so much that one day he’s going to say, “It’s 12:15 with Kevin and here’s Kevin with his new song called Kevin.”

Carpel Tunnel Syndrome is caused by repetitive motion. If 80% of what we do daily is a cut and pasted from yesterday…no wonder our backs, legs, head and heart are bent out of shape.

This might be the reason why people aren’t inviting you to their office Taco Party! Madonna needs to open a school and teach this nation how to master the art of reinvention.

How do you change? Awareness… Become aware of how you greet people. Document how you pay your bills on line or shout at the kids for busting your flow of workday traffic. Awareness helps you generate new beginnings.

Wordpress.com invites you to meditate. It is looked upon as being a single place where new sounds are born. From it energy is given new air to breathe. The goal is eliminate your need for too much talking. 80% of what you offer is last week’s news.

I will always believe in you first…

arroecollins@clearchannel.com

No comments:

Post a Comment