Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Pictures Of A New Book: Part Twenty Nine

I talk about daily journalizing so much Preacher's accuse me of studying the wrong book. To which I reply, "Journaling connects you to the voice or voices that could physically be the sounds God makes." Whipping through my journal would be extremely boring because its where the writer in me goes when having to explain why scenes in my new book Scrambled Eggs have to be rewritten or a conversation between characters brought me to my knees in tears. Author Sue Grafton plays the same journaling game. Rather than trying to overpower writers block put value and interest in what might have headed off your creative path. Journaling helps you pinpoint a fork in the road. According to Sue, taking the time to slip a few thoughts from your system of decisions is a great way to measure progress while having a future place to study when other writing projects hit the same mountain. A couple of days ago I pulled up my ink stains from Christmas day 2012. I was frustrated with my decision to "Ferment" draft one. That's what I call separating the writer from the other writer's wanting to lend a helping hand. The original idea was down on paper. I didn't need his ego to get injured during the second draft...so I "Ferment" the project. Going back two months reintroduced me to the critic and the writer. Seeing both points of view helped me two months down road in February 2013. I ripped from the script four pages of handwritten ideas and didn't feel guilty. Did it make me less caring? Not so! The writer understands my 51/49 rule. There's always going to be a 51% chance I'll be rewriting to make the story bigger, better and less poetic for the common no frills e-book reader. For Sue, daily journaling helps fine tune characters in her books while repeating the storyline over and over. To a writer, knowing where you're going makes you less of a critic and more of a creative. The picture displayed is a page from my daily writing. Julia Cameron says, "Display your art so that you can learn to ignore criticism." How many people do you know who aren't afraid to write in their journals then say, "Get what you want just don't ask me to respell the words. Writing instruments don't come with spell check."

No comments:

Post a Comment