Friday, October 22, 2010

Dream a little dream...

If you could…would you return to the days when dreaming brought you incredible amounts of hope? Back to the moments when holding onto a wish was what you did while sitting on a school bus, day dreaming in science class or pictured in your itty bitty thoughts while sitting silently in your bedroom while the rest of the family sat glued to the television screen.

As a child I believed dreams came from interns wanting to one day be angels; before they could land the gig they were required to inspire the kid.

Where do dreams go when they are let go? More importantly why is it so easy to turn a dream free? Different visions are brought to the surface of reality through the works of those who make money motivating massive amounts of lost travelers. Anthony Robbins and John C Maxwell enforce the foundations of limitless dreams while bosses and coworkers take what you think and smash it into the face of tar stained ashtray or they pull off what I call the Aunt Louise who used to drown her cigarette butts in coffee, water, warm coke or your unfinished glass of milk.

Seriously! That’s how we treat dreams and those who have them. Unlike Doritos, it’s not so easy to keep making more.

In his new book actor/comedian and soon to be husband to Katy Perry; Russell Brand explains how tiny impossibilities become giant strands of reason as to why the numbers continue to rise in the world of drug and alcohol abuse. When you stop believing in dreams your body doesn’t stop making rivers that require an outlet. People feed that outlet with false connections.

I physically can’t figure out how I got into radio; my parents did everything to hoist a can of tar and feathers over the idea, to wash it free from the daily dream showers I took in the middle of everybody’s nonreturnable day. Aunt Louise shot me out to Seattle to brainwash my waves in an attempt to separate the child from the soon to be freshly graduated adult; to give me focus on what Pacific Northwestern residents truly do to keep a roof over their head. I’ll never forget my Grandma Bakken sitting across from me in Bozeman, Montana telling me that was time to stop showing off, “You should’ve been over this by twelve or thirteen. I’m worried.”

As much as you want to believe its school teachers with giant red pens that silence the fingerprints left where your imagination has been…the authentic newly designed wet blanket is always parental figures and family members who think they know best. It’s their behavior that puts your dream catcher in the closet to later be found by an older not so wiser you at a time when letting go of everything has made you numb. Searching is meaningless, how could you return to a moment when being in love with a dream was everything?

The Camaro is back…why? Because has been teenage boys love to dream, it requires nearly forty years and 2.5 marriages to finally say, “This time I’m going to do it.”

I can’t figure out how to let go of a dream therefore everyday is disappointing because who has the time to chase down what you should’ve let go at twelve or thirteen? The change of life is happening to twenty five and thirty year old men and women. You get so far along the path of expectations and you realize, “I used to do this. I wanted to do that. I need to but can’t because this is standing in the way.”

Tiny impossibilities become giant strands of reason as to why the numbers continue to rise in the world of drug and alcohol abuse. When you stop believing in dreams your body doesn’t stop making rivers that require an outlet. People feed that outlet with false connections.

People Magazine recently printed a story that exposed the haunting truth about stay at home mother’s…alcohol abuse is through the roof. If you aren’t tipping bottles and popping pills there are other ways out; divorce, food binging, work-a-holic or even worse the acceptable I don’t care attitude at a place of business that requires your full attention because it affects the livelihood of others.

Dreams aren’t just for kids! Dreams are what we should be doing everyday. When you don’t dream you’re pretty much telling those eyes looking at you in the mirror, “You’re fired.” How many times have you replied, “What the heck do you care?”

Video games, IPods, Face Book, Twitter, endless emails to friends you haven’t seen in twenty five years. Legal ways to say, “I don’t have time to dream. You should’ve been over this at twelve or thirteen.”

What you don’t know is how I replied to Grandma Bakken…which serves as the deepest root I hold tightly as to why after thirty one years I ambitiously continue to say yes to radio. At the age of seventeen I swiftly stood up at her beautifully designed kitchen table and uttered a single thought, “I love you and it was always you who said be me even during days when the me inside of me hates me really bad. That meant that it was time to be a better me which would open a new door for me to walk through.”

Let me put it in English: Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars…thank God for Casey Kasum!

I will always believe in you first…

arroecollins@clearchannel.com

No comments:

Post a Comment