Monday, April 11, 2011

I can't think of a title...

Is it wrong to be horrified of the current treatment of character and conditions of real life and how it’s being portrayed on American television?

Non-stop larger than life egos attached to out of control partying on Jersey Shores, pregnant teens glorified on the cover People Magazine and how about Donald Trump allowing Gary Busey to continue his journey on The Celebrity Apprentice?

How can Donald Trump think of being our nations next President if he can’t see through Gary Busey? His actions boldly stated, “I don’t care about hard working American’s…the loser will always win.” He should look in the mirror and fire himself for putting ratings and research over success.

If bad behavior and lack of common sense is the current rave why are we sending so many people to prison? Artist Way author Julia Cameron was miles ahead of her time when she vividly stated, “We are attracted to bad choices and lifestyles because it makes us feel better about our own lives.”

NBC gets great ratings while I head to bed pissed off!

American Idol did more damage to the country last week then the torrential thunderstorms with strong damaging winds attached. The best and most powerful vocals of the season came from Pia Toscano who was cast aside like cotton candy touching the tip of your tongue...there then gone! I want 60 Minutes to investigate the show! Are the producers creating Reality Television drama to get Bloggers, Face Booker’s and Tweeter’s to holler so loud that those not listening will start tuning in? Tell me how that's going for ya!

While growing up I wanted to be Marcus Welby M.D. because he had a beautiful house, no stress and a total knock out secretary named Consuela. Mike Brady came home to a house full of kids and you never saw a pair of dirty socks on the sofa. Danny Partridge got in tons of trouble and his mother Shirley would ground him but never from performing live on stage.

Absolutely that was fantasy! It gave people every reason to believe in the American dream. Today…we go to work knowing it could be our last. I’ve yet to meet the person who has enough faith in their career to give it a lifetime of support. We hold onto the attitude of questioning every step knowing that getting better at what we do no longer matters. Every drop of sweat poured into the day takes hard work and dedication but it’s never good enough. The idea of filling a cup with success is constantly spilled by a slacker.

This isn’t a negative blog! Awareness enforces change. You cannot become if you don’t realize you haven’t moved an inch.

Ivan earned his third degree black belt over the weekend. I promptly wrote a letter of congratulations. One in 100,000 makes it to 3rd Dan. Achieving it requires not just hours of preparation but years of constant study and most importantly harsh ridicule. Mentally you’re mind, body and soul are beat up because how you’re taught is how you’ll teach. The most influential instructor is always going to be the best student. There is value in being a leader if you choose to be brilliant not great at it.

But how can we change the path of a rock no longer covered in moss if the process of movement is not down a hill but over a cliff?

No day passes that I don’t receive an email that softly whispers, “Please pray for me.”

I wrote back to a friend this morning gently conveying, “The person you want me to talk to didn’t create the mess you speak of therefore if a true act of wanting to be saved is required I suggest you take the first step and change your life and style.”

Dr. Albert Einstein once wrote, “Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of value.”

Question…being a poet, writer, thinker and doer connected to nothing more than a need to locate questions my mother never answered when I was two; what is value in a world where having value no longer buys you peace of mind?

Someone very close says to me over the weekend, “I’m no longer chasing a career; I just want to finally be happy.” I suggested two cans of warm root beer followed by a burping contest but the laughing led to tears because being happy has entered a stage of a short fuse connected to a really big unforeseen boom.

I’ve studied Gary Busey every week on The Celebrity Apprentice. Since his motorcycle accident in the 80’s the humanitarian lost in my soul has never stopped believing in his never ending push to prove to the world that he has value. Although it comes across that he’s completely out of control and demands more than he can offer, he’s still the average “Used to be” that has the strength to never stop when everybody around him is either overly talented and has lost their touch to be extremely real or they’ve located reasons to sit down and say, “I quit.”

Gary Busey has not created career suicide. As upset as I was to see Mark McGrath leave the show; Gary has never stopped trying to locate value in everything he touches nor has his weirdness never stopped trying to locate invisible paths capable of creating a different way to approach our new and improved life and style. Maybe that’s what Mr. Trump saw in the actor. We all want to be surrounded by the perfect co-worker. We all want the highly rated overly successful day to end with high fives and cheers. Nobody wants to be told, “It’s still not good enough.”

I workout in a gym everyday and this fricken body refuses to react. I'm so upset with the employees hanging out in my biceps and legs but I've yet to fire their tails. When you quit yourself...you quit the world.
A co-worker stops in my studio first thing this morning sharply questioning her self, “Why do I always get stuck in traffic? I can’t stand being late!”

Stand back! It’s time for an Arroe-ism!

How can you be late in a radio world that demands your time and energy 24 hours a day seven days a week? More importantly how often do you find yourself getting upset over how fast time flies? Getting stuck in traffic this morning was a gift…suddenly you were given enough time to regain control of your life and didn’t know how to handle it.

I will always believe in you first…even if you’re Gary Busey…I’ve got your back!

arroecollins@clearchannel.com

No comments:

Post a Comment