Thursday, April 28, 2011

I'm going to Prince William's Wedding!!!

I’m not one to write period pieces or to put focus on Hollywood driven paparazzi attractions but history is set to rise and like it or not we’re part of it. Stop fighting it like a two year old that’s just downed four chunks of chocolate. Please follow and or hold the inside arm of the tall dark and dashingly beautiful British gentleman named usher and he’ll lead you into the arena where I’m told by every television network including Entertainment Tonight’s Mary Hart that there isn’t a bad seat in the house.



Welcome to the wedding of William and Kate!



Bashfully I admit I fell in love with his mother Princess Di in the 80’s. I had never seen a Queen to be as astonishingly unforgettable as she. She wore innocence in her eyes while guaranteeing her place in history as a woman of tremendous strength. To this day I see her soft genuine smile and melt at the purity of her well tuned voice. Not just to me but to millions of many Princess Di was like watching the rebirth of an angel in human clothes and style.



I attended her wedding. Yep! They led me and my wife of only two months to row number 26 billion four hundred and sixty two…which just happened to be an extremely long sectional sofa in a trailer house in Lewistown, Montana. Prince Di must have truly loved me because unlike those on world wide broadcast television my seat at her wedding came with an ottoman to put my feet up and endless amounts of pre-wedding food.



Lives are changed by the most bizarre twists in everyday fate. Have you ever met a Baby Boomer that wasn’t somehow blown away by Elvis, The Beatles or Jagger and Richards? Stare into the soul long enough of men now entering middle age and it amazes me how many millions were completely moved by a North Carolina kid named Michael Jordan.



As much as I love my Android and give praise to Verizon for being the first to put that freakishly neat oh skeet oh handheld machine on its proper stage—the inner makings of why I do what I do is firmly attached to July 29, 1981. I fell in love with watching two separate paths become one.



This is where the critics step in and blast my fantasy with buts, more buts and did you knows…yes I do know what history performed but it hasn’t destroyed what I held that day when Princess Di got married.



She was the princess that dreams paint inside your eyelids while trying to sleep late, late at night. The very girl that children’s books written about grouchy fire breathing dragons steal from the midnight air and hold onto tightly until the brave prince and his army of six, seven or eleven show up shouting, “Let go of thee woman I love! Allow her to be my love of a lifetime! Without her I am empty of music! I cannot survive any longer if you the fire breathing dragon with a giant wart on your left cheek don’t free from your grips the woman I so cherish.”



Wow! That contained so much sugar you’ve officially become diabetic!



Absolutely Prince William’s day with Kate has been sensationalized! They are John F Kennedy’s first man on the moon project, Lee Iacocca’s vision of turning four wheels into speed demons named Mustang, Sammy Sosa and Mark Mcgwire slamming it out in the world’s most famous homerun derby.



But, but did you know? Yes I know what history performed but it hasn’t destroyed what we held on the days each moment was brought to the forefront of realities daily catch.



And maybe that’s why hundreds of emails and opinions have poured into our system asking us to please stop talking about the wedding of the century. Hey! I get it! With the divorce rate now at 52% why should the common folk, man, woman, dreamer and poet waste their hard to locate time falling in love with two people who are in love?



The thought of being in love with the idea of being in love is a sentence you’d expect to find in a box office rejected Jennifer Lopez film. When was the last time a modern day love song took over your senses and completely turned you into a shopping monkey because nothing purchased could ever touch how much you loved the person you were with so you bought and bought and bought finally realizing the only way you could love like the song on the radio was to day dream.



Are you in love with what the banking and housing industry has done to your city, state and nation?



Are you in love with the way school boards across this great land beg for billions of dollars but never spend it on education?



How are you in the love department on workplace hours expected with no overtime?



And gas prices? How about food, insurance, the price of popcorn at a movie that’s been tainted by a pretty nifty trailer?



How do you feel about a British kid you’ve been forced to watch grow up; you know like a grandparent that assumed they had finally emptied the house and they could get back to living? Maybe what we need to do is whip out the candy, milkshakes and lime green cupcakes and feed it to William and Kate then give them back to Charles and Camilla before the sunsets.



In an age of wars people tend to ignore, nuclear power plants that've exploded but nobody cares anymore and worldly leaders that refuse to do anything about polar caps melting…I absolutely agree the marriage of William and Kate isn’t a historic moment; instead, because we were there at his birth, when he attended first grade, his graduation, the divorce of his parents and later the heart wrenching loss of his mother…William is your fricken next door neighbor’s kid who was nice enough to send you an invitation to an extremely happy moment in a life tragically destroyed by our need to know everything about everybody just like Mrs. Kravitz on Bewitched.



As they embrace I ask you do the same…welcome to the first step of a brand new beginning. Be in love with the idea of being in love.



You may now kiss your computer screen.



arroecollins@clearchannel.com

No comments:

Post a Comment