Thursday, March 31, 2011

One minute to live...what's your next step?

From the Nez Perce Nation Chief Joseph spoke, “I am not a child, I can think for myself. No man can think for me.”

Stand back fifteen feet and silently identify the leaders in your life that speak like a child because those above them create what they think.

A Raleigh, NC man is being investigated by local law makers because of a decision to further his beliefs in locating reasons to put up traffic lights in his neighborhood. He’s being accused of practicing engineering work without a license.

Virginia Tech has been fined $55,000 for their decision not to warn students of possible danger two hours after one of this nation’s worst on campus shootings began. They plan to appeal.

25 million people watched as President Obama explained why he sent U.S. forces into Libya…comedians around the world have joked not about the message but how the President wanted his words to be over before Dancing with the Stars began.

February 8, 1887 the Dawes Act was put into motion causing Native American nations to lose a collected 90 million acres of reservation land.

Words, actions, reactions and decisions that lead to rebuilding yet there are vacant buildings in every small town and city in America surrounded by giant parking lots that resemble craters from the moon.
Our leaders vowed to make us greener by investing unheard of amounts of money in offshore drilling and nuclear energy; instantly we were introduced to the nightmares dubbed The Gulf of Mexico and a 9.0 earthquake in Japan.

What is the plan? In the soon to be released film Source Code, Jake Gyllenhaal asks Michelle Monaghan, “If you only had a minute left to live what would you do?”

In July of 2009 while rushing down highway 51 in south Charlotte toward an emergency room, the thought of currently having a heart attack invited no fear but rather made me extremely concerned about the makeup of my job…I called a coworker and calmly said, “There’s a distinct possibility I won’t be coming in tomorrow.”

On the hit CBS sitcom How I Met Your Mother, Marshall’s father’s final words weren’t physical but rather somewhat spiritual in the way of what we’ve dubbed in this new millennium as being a butt call.

I still laugh to this day about a phone call nationally recognized comedian Pam Stone received from her father; it was cartoonish, brilliantly funny expressively exciting sounds that embraced his passion to be a personality in memory. It became a fixture on our radio show.

The call that touched me the most was from Lisa’s father on an answering machine sitting in the house. The GM’s secretary brought it to me to clean it up, take out the static, ease back on the hissing and what I did as a producer was a crime against realities worst bite…I listened very closely to every word, vowel, consonant and popped P, T and K and located enough vibrations in the way he spoke to physically create the sentence, “I love you Lisa…”

“I am not a child, I can think for myself. No man can think for me.”

What are you thinking these days? How well is it fitting within the elements that make up the paths you walk? Stealing from the movie; what if you had only one minute to live…what would you do?

Did I mention the second call I placed on that long a** highway 51?

Got thinking about that summer night when things didn’t feel right.
And I was forced to make that call to hear your voice before the walls came tumbling down onto the streets made of gold inside God’s heaven.
Thank you for believing
Thank you for always seeing
Thank you for all the hugs at night
Thank you for so much insight
I can’t walk with God until I know you’ll be alright
I can’t walk with God until your heart is felt in the kisses you placed so many times on my forehead…
Simple memories are hard to catch
But you made it worth every step
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, everyday a reason to hold the memories
Childhood pictures have started to fade but the love I have for you will never be that way
Because you are……Mom

She is the seed that made me believe in you first…

arroecollins@clearchannel.com

No comments:

Post a Comment