Friday, January 29, 2010

Your boss doesn't make you busy...you make you busy...

Mention the name Max Vengerov and the majority of us don’t care, our fingers tap on the desk and our butts readjust in horribly designed office chairs while our toes curl because there’s got to be a better web page to entertain the senses than stupid cupid motivational junk for our business hearts.



Who’s got the time to dig deeper into Max Vengerov’s presentation—if its not Mel Gibson, Tiger Woods, Oprah, Ellen or Simon Cowell…nothing else matters until your eyes drop like snow flakes from the sky and land on a once living tree and its there that we read: We’ve lost our sense of improvisation and spontaneity—we don’t take the time to compose original works.



Ta dahhhhhhh!



How are you feeling now? Pinch yourself… Still nothing. I’m not shocked. I mean, look at the way we drive at 6:15 in the morning—a few hundred cars on the road and we think shattering the sound barrier will keep us from reaching bottleneck traffic. We race from the car into our jobs, plop down in that oh so comfy thing on wheels and think, “What did I get myself into?”



I’m guilty of never reading an entire email. If you can’t say it in two sentences catch me on the cell phone or in person. Don’t even think about rolling your eyes…we all do it! We leap out of our cubicles to attend important last minute meetings, burn rubber to the nearest fast food hut, cram twelve pounds of fries into our gut then walk back into work asking, “What did I get myself into?”



We are so busy doing nothing that we don’t have the time to figure out what we should be doing. Business meetings are quickies. Taking the kids to anywhere USA is no different then a trash truck dumping its load while a tractor waits to bury it. I went home last night to pay the bills and ended up spending nearly four hours listening to my recently recorded music over and over and over searching for everything wrong.

I was shaming the artist...what? Radio doesn't offer enough of that?



Its Max Vengerov who thinks we’re side stepping innovation and it begins with how we are communicating.



Don’t even think about pointing our aging fingers at technology! Author Lou Solomon is quick to point out our decisions not to have face to face time is nothing more than sophisticated blah, blah, blah. We’re smarter than this…which means we’ve got the ability to break free from this addiction to faceless Facebooks.



I love what Lou writes, “Being dazed by technology feeds our busy-ness.”



The last vacation I had was spent trying to break free of the computer age…yeah right! My wife and I ended up in the hotel office for hours connected to movie companies requiring our services at different premieres. My very good friend Steve has become a hermit, claiming it’s the only way he can deal with this nation’s passion to constantly run. The only way for him to regain control of his life is to disassociate himself 100% from anyone and everyone. I’ve known the man for 20 years and suddenly it’s become cool for him to pull off a Harry Houdini. Being the jerk I am…I called his answering machine and said, “Our friendship is like a marriage…we’re divorced.”



Lou writes, “We are fading away from the present moment into the wallpaper of preoccupation with ourselves.”



How often do you take your hands and cover your face because the only time the phone rings is when somebody wants something from you? I call this the boa constrictor syndrome. My pet snake was 9 ½ feet long and man did he love to eat. The only time I held Tanino is when I gave him a delicious piece of mouse meat. Then one day in front of several guests I decided to show off the boa constrictor, “Look at my pet!” He attacked me. Guess whose fault it was? Mine…and that’s exactly how we’re treating each other.



Our appetite for success and acceptance is on a rampage. We’re nothing more than boa constrictors locked in a terrarium waiting for a big man to stop by with something to eat. The very second his hand appears, slam! Dunk! Boom! Pow! Yummy in my tummy!



Authenticity can’t and won’t occur until there is awareness. If you want your kids to learn how to spell stop doing this: LOL LMAO BRB…until that moment award them with cake and candy for spelling wrong. They’re only doing what you are setting them up for. Kids are mirrored images of society.



I totally blame my nonstop lifestyle on my mom. Deep into her 70’s, hip replacement, surgery for this, that and whatever else the medical industry invents and that girl just doesn’t stop. Look what she taught me…there’s nothing more important in life than work. I honestly have no clue how to be interesting.



Sometimes I think the only reason why I catch a cold is because its God’s way of saying, “I’m in much better control than you are and if you keep doing what you do…my plans are going to get messed up.”



Countless times I’ve joked to many people, “I earned my heart attack.” Basically meaning it came 100% from my endless array of got to get somewhere because I’m late, I’m late, I’m late for very important date. Did it teach me to slow down? I honestly don’t know how and flat out won't listen to you if an attempt to explain is made.



I need to spend more time at the cemetary...holy cow the entire nation can't wait to get there!


arroecollins@clearchannel.com

No comments:

Post a Comment